Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 01:04 PM

Should Mother And Baby Homes Be Reintroduced?

Rhian’s thread on should National Service be reintroduced has prompted me to start this thread.

What about bringing back Mother and Baby homes? I was going to call them Homes for Unmarried mothers but these days the stigma of having a baby out of wedlock, no longer exists.

Could you imagine the outcry if Mother and Baby Homes were brought back? A young pregnant girl be made to clean, mop floors and approx six weeks later, give birth. Not long after, her baby be taken off her and given away to strangers.

What they must have gone through in those days is heartbreaking and so sad. Maybe, you disagree?

So l ask, even above all the sorrow, would it be good to reintroduce Mother and Baby Homes?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 01:07 PM

Re: Should Mother And Baby Homes Be Reintroduced?

I would mch prefer to see homes provided for the homeless and for aftercare while recuperating from hospital first.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Rhian’s thread on should National Service be reintroduced has prompted me to start this thread.

What about bringing back Mother and Baby homes? I was going to call them Homes for Unmarried mothers but these days the stigma of having a baby out of wedlock, no longer exists.

Could you imagine the outcry if Mother and Baby Homes were brought back? A young pregnant girl be made to clean, mop floors and approx six weeks later, give birth. Not long after, her baby be taken off her and given away to strangers.

What they must have gone through in those days is heartbreaking and so sad. Maybe, you disagree?

So l ask, even above all the sorrow, would it be good to reintroduce Mother and Baby Homes?

My Husbands ex MIL was put into a Magdalen Laundry when she was expecting his first wife. It was only that her brother heard about it in America that he sent the money that she could buy her way out

NO NO NO NO they should never return

Parents need to step up and care for the child thats having a child, not sling em out knowing the council will house them
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 01:14 PM

Never heard of mother and baby homes to be honest.

A great many 'unplanned' births were kept within the family unit weren't they? Social services were seen as interlopers and meddlers. A lot of young mums stayed with mum and dad and they, in reality, reared the little sprog when it came along.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 01:26 PM

Never should those highly unpleasant mother and baby homes be re-introduced! They were a terrible scandal.

Thank goodness these days sane people don't think it necessary for someone to have a ring on their finger before producing a child.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 01:33 PM

The young of today wouldn't know what had hit them if that happened. I agree it was a terrible place to be and to lose your child too BUT in those days you took a chance if you were going to have sex. These days there's no need for anyone to get pregnant as there's birth control in easy reach.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 01:33 PM

Having had first hand knowledge of them, no way. Though the one I went to was better than most.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 02:23 PM

No, no, no...

A school friend of mine was sent by her parents to one of these places when she was 16 and pregnant. It was sheer hell, she had to scub floors on her hands and knees. Following the birth she had to hand over her baby, otherwise her parents would not let her return home. Having told neighbours she had gone to stay with relatives for a few months. Every year she wept when it was the child’s birthday and always wondered what happened to that baby. I cant recall whether she had a boy or girl, but her two subsequent children never replaced her missing child. So very sad.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->

NO NO NO NO they should never return

Parents need to step up and care for the child thats having a child, not sling em out knowing the council will house them
Originally Posted by Roxy ->
The young of today wouldn't know what had hit them if that happened. I agree it was a terrible place to be and to lose your child too BUT in those days you took a chance if you were going to have sex. These days there's no need for anyone to get pregnant as there's birth control in easy reach.
I agree with both of these posts! If parents had encouraged the use of contraception & not tried to hide their daughters away if they made a mistake Mother and baby homes may never have been created.
A lot of them were created by the church... who managed to make money out of it by selling the babies to wealthy Americans!
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

25-07-2018, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Couldn't agree more Roxy.

What really annoys me is the girls who have baby after baby by different fathers and expect us tax payers to keep them and their brood!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top