Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 09:19 PM

Glyphosphate Weedkillers

Do you spray many weeds in your garden, or on paths/driveways, are you Organic, or do you always try and dig them up?

I have been reading an article about the most commonly used weedkiller - Glyphosphate.
It has long been rumoured how dangerous to health this can chemical can be, and that it may also be a carcinogenic.

An American Judge has just ruled that glyphosphate had contributed to cancer in a 46-year old Groundsman, Dewayne Johnson. The manufaturer, Monsanto, is appealing, but there are another 4,000 cases waiting in the wings apparently!

I find this a bit worrying, and can't help but wonder if this is just the tip of the iceberg starting to show.

I have used it sparingly on occasions, but mostly tend to dig, hoe, or hand weed as much as possible, not just for my own safety but because of my dogs always sniffing round where they shouldn't be.

I only spray plants against insects/disease if I really have to, e.g. Blackspot can be a nuisance, as can Greenfly and Scale, but I usually try other methods first.

What, if any, sprays do you use, and does the use of chemicals bother you?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 09:34 PM

Re: Glyphosphate Weedkillers

Yes Mups, the use of chemicals bothers me. We have dogs and never put any chemicals on the lawns because for fear of harming them. Fortunately our garden doesn't need much in the way of pest control, except for some of the roses and we don't treat them every year. We do a lot of hand weeding.

We have a blocked paved drive which we treat regularly. We buy a product which is supposedly rendered harmless once it dries and after a couple of days. I am not sure I trust it and the dogs are always kept off it until we have had a good downpour.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 09:50 PM

Hi

Scare stories abound Mups.

It is all about dosage, if you are a contractor and use vast amounts of the industrial strength stuff without wearing the correct protective gear, then yes, it is a problem.

It is no problem at all to the home user.

I use weedkillers, but instead of spraying, I mix them with wallpaper paste and brush them on persistent weeds.

There is a lot of nonsense talked about chemicals etc.

Asbestos is dangerous, we all know that.

You can pour milk on it and eat it like a bowl of cornflakes and it will do you no harm at all.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 09:56 PM

Mups I don't use weedkiller chemicals in my garden, Chloe is always eating things and I have frogs and hedgehogs.

I use washing up liquid on aphids and dig weeds up or use salt and boiling water or vinegar on the path for tiny wind sewn weeds.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Scare stories abound Mups.

It is all about dosage, if you are a contractor and use vast amounts of the industrial strength stuff without wearing the correct protective gear, then yes, it is a problem.

It is no problem at all to the home user.

I use weedkillers, but instead of spraying, I mix them with wallpaper paste and brush them on persistent weeds.

There is a lot of nonsense talked about chemicals etc.

Asbestos is dangerous, we all know that.

You can pour milk on it and eat it like a bowl of cornflakes and it will do you no harm at all.

But Swim, why should protective clothing be needed in the first place, if the stuff is so harmless?

I know the products which retail for gardeners are milder than the chemicals available for agricultural use, but still not everyone is competent as using them correctly and do not read labels.

Personally, I dislike even the smell of them and when the farmers are spraying, I can smell that just driving past even.
'Orrible stink.

I remember my husband still keeping banned chemicals even, and I doubt for one minute he was the only one. Farmers are thrifty and don't like waste!

As for "Scare Stories" as you call them, look at this:

https://www.theguardian.com/business...johnson-ruling
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

16-12-2018, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mups I don't use weedkiller chemicals in my garden, Chloe is always eating things and I have frogs and hedgehogs.

I use washing up liquid on aphids and dig weeds up or use salt and boiling water or vinegar on the path for tiny wind sewn weeds.

You are a good gal then, Meg.
I am glad you look after the hedgehogs and frogs too.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
But Swim, why should protective clothing be needed in the first place, if the stuff is so harmless?

I know the products which retail for gardeners are milder than the chemicals available for agricultural use, but still not everyone is competent as using them correctly and do not read labels.

Personally, I dislike even the smell of them and when the farmers are spraying, I can smell that just driving past even.
'Orrible stink.

I remember my husband still keeping banned chemicals even, and I doubt for one minute he was the only one. Farmers are thrifty and don't like waste!
Hi

You are sounding like Realist now.

Everything is a risk.

Chlorine is a poison, Chlorine Gas is a Chemical Weapon, it will kill you.

You drink it everyday in your tap water, you give your dogs it.

It does no harm at all in low doses.

We take paracetamol, we give our kids Calpol, it reduces temperature, do not give it and they have febrile convulsions, which cause brain damage and death.

Overdose on Paracetamol and it destroys your liver.

The science is all about dosage, nothing else.

How on earth do you think Herbal Remedies work?

They work because of the chemicals in them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

16-12-2018, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

You are sounding like Realist now.

Everything is a risk.

Chlorine is a poison, Chlorine Gas is a Chemical Weapon, it will kill you.

You drink it everyday in your tap water, you give your dogs it.

It does no harm at all in low doses.

We take paracetamol, we give our kids Calpol, it reduces temperature, do not give it and they have febrile convulsions, which cause brain damage and death.

Overdose on Paracetamol and it destroys your liver.

The science is all about dosage, nothing else.

How on earth do you think Herbal Remedies work?

They work because of the chemicals in them.

But the article was not about Calpol, Paracetamol or Herbal remedies, so I find that irrelevant information.

I was asking people if they use Glyphosphate Swim.

And you are wrong in comparing me to Realist, (ruddy cheek ) because I will not go on to 50 more pages of copy/paste just to ask a simple question.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

16-12-2018, 10:51 PM

But the article was not about Calpol, Paracetamol or Herbal remedies, so I find that irrelevant information.

I was asking people if they use Glyphosphate Swim.

And you are wrong in comparing me to Realist, (ruddy cheek ) because I will not go on to 50 more pages of copy/paste just to ask a simple question.
Hi

I thought that would give you a laugh Mups.

Seriously though, it is all about dosage.

Glysophate is safe in the Garden, just do not drink it neat.

Contact Lens Fluid is safe, I can make a bomb from it.

It bleaches hair and sends the Space Shuttle into Orbit.

Dosage is everything.

Glysophate is safe in your garden
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 03:26 AM

Do you spray many weeds in your garden, or on paths/driveways, are you Organic, or do you always try and dig them up?

I have been reading an article about the most commonly used weedkiller - Glyphosphate.
It has long been rumoured how dangerous to health this can chemical can be, and that it may also be a carcinogenic.

What, if any, sprays do you use, and does the use of chemicals bother you?
As it happens I just went round my garden about an hour ago spraying Glyphosate 360 and a couple of hours before that I sprayed the lawn with "Bin-die" mainly to kill the clover as I haven't had bindi's for a while.

It was a Judge that ruled it caused cancer which is rather like Realist and his anti flu vax campaign - pontificating on something he has no expertise in. There is no actual evidence to show it causes cancer only 'just in case' warnings. A 2000 review concluded that "under present and expected conditions of new use, there is no potential for Roundup herbicide to pose a health risk to humans".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top