Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 03:04 PM

Re: Saudi woman defies deportation back to her family

Said on the News at 1 that the Thai officials have agreed to allowx UN refugee people to visit her...

Thailand's chief of immigration police Surachate Hakparn said on Monday afternoon local time that the country would "protect her as best we can".
"She is now under the sovereignty of Thailand, no-one and no embassy can force her to go anywhere," he said. "We will talk to her and do whatever she requests.
"Since she escaped trouble to seek our help... we will not send anyone to their death."
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 03:15 PM

Playing Devil's Advocate again, what we have to understand here is that there is due process for anyone to go through.

Imagine today I fancied leaving the UK and decided I'd like to live in say . . . I don't know, say Canada.

So should I simply book myself a flight to Canada and go and start a life?

The truth is I wouldn't get past Canadian border control because it is very rightly well controlled.

I would be told that if I want to go live in Canada that I need to go through due process and get the required paperwork. They would send me back to the UK pronto in the meantime.

We can sympathise with the people who are born into awful regimes but we can't allow that kind of woolly nonsense to see us throw away all the border security controls in a country. If we did, then millions from those countries would simply hop on a plane and claim asylum at the airport. They would basically just be ordinary people wishing to live in another country but failing to go through the same due process as everyone else. It would be a free for all. It would be madness to allow it.

This is in stark contrast for example to 100s of people fleeing a country that is suddenly in the thick of war conflict. If your town or city is being bombed by say USA bombers you clearly want to get out and away. So you flee to a neighbouring country and seek asylum.

The woman in this article is not in this situation. She's an 18 year old living in an oppressive regime along with 100,000s of other people. She says her family is treating her badly, restricting her freedoms and so on.

What is the answer to such a problem?

Allow the millions of citizens to leave the country and go live somewhere else without any due process?

Or to deal with the regime itself, challenge it, remove it and put something better in its place ?

What would posters here do if the UK became a totalitarian police state ? Or an ultra Communist/Marxist state?

Would you flee the UK?

Or would you make a stand with millions of other people and seek to topple the government?

No real easy answers to a mess like this TBH
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 03:31 PM

The difference between different sects of Islam is as diverse as the different sects of Christianity.

Many Muslims in UK denounce the Wahabi sect of Islam, which is the strict Sunni sect from Saudi Arabia. Very different to other sects. The main source of 'global terrorism' and there are numerous Saudi funded Mosques in the UK now.

Saudi offered to pay for new mosques to be built in Germany after the influx of the refugees a couple of years back. Germany refused but the Wahabi sect is encroaching on the West , which is most concerning IMO.

I find it utterly disgraceful that UK and US do not condemn Wahhabism and continue to support the Saudi royals , government, and the archaic religious practices simply for economic reasons... At the same time giving a rise to hate of all Muslims.

We can be too soft for our own good , particularly
when our birth rate is decreasing and the Turkish President Erdogan called for Muslims in Europe to have more children, about 12 months ago , there seems to be a movement afoot to spread themselves , and of course, they have to abide by the rules !

If the news of this girl is true, she can't go back to Saudi.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 03:34 PM

I read somewhere that she was trying to escape a forced marriage so that could be another reason for her escape - unless of course she's using that, along with her renouncement of Islam, as bargaining chip to use in an asylum claim.

I have no doubt however that if she is forced to go back to Saudi, her days are numbered and will be despatched via an `honour` killing. A woman involved in a similar case a while back was forcibly returned to Saudi and she's disappeared off the map - no trace of her whereabouts whatsoever.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I read somewhere that she was trying to escape a forced marriage so that could be another reason for her escape - unless of course she's using that, along with her renouncement of Islam, as bargaining chip to use in an asylum claim.

I have no doubt however that if she is forced to go back to Saudi, her days are numbered and will be despatched via an `honour` killing.
A woman involved in a similar case a while back was forcibly returned to Saudi and she's disappeared off the map - no trace of her whereabouts whatsoever.
There's a surprise, not.
Poor creature.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

07-01-2019, 05:14 PM

Latest... she's left the hotel

An 18-year-old Saudi woman who fled her family at the weekend has left Bangkok airport "under the care" of the UN refugee agency, the head of Thailand's immigration police says.

The Thai authorities said her status would be assessed by the UN refugee agency (UNHCR).

On Monday evening local time, Thailand's chief of immigration police Surachate Hakparn confirmed that Ms Mohammed al-Qunun was "allowed to stay", and that she "left the airport with the UNHCR".

"Thailand is a land of smiles. We will not send anyone to die."
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 06:22 PM

The story will now go quiet an in truth we'll never know whether they silently dispatched her, or snatched her back or whether she got to Australia.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

07-01-2019, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
The story will now go quiet an in truth we'll never know whether they silently dispatched her, or snatched her back or whether she got to Australia.
Shhhhhhh Realist, don't burst my bubble!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

07-01-2019, 06:29 PM

ok sorry. Worth keeping track though to see what does happen.

Do we know what her Twitter feed is, that might be a good way to keep track
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 07:12 PM

I suspect that Thailand doesn't want to lose the money that western tourists bring into the country.

If they don't show that they are following the Saudi lady's wishes I am sure that many female tourists would find somewhere else to take their holidays.

Religion in Thailand

Theravada Buddhism is the official religion of Thailand. 94.6 percent are estimated to be Buddhist; 4.3 percent Muslim; 1 percent Christian; and 0.1 percent other or have no religion.
The law provides for freedom of religion, and the government generally has respected this right in practice!

so I am really hopeful that they have put her in the care of the UN refugee agency.

Keep your fingers crossed Ruthio!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top