Join for free
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 04:47 PM

Warning do not lay on a bomb !

The human mind knows no bounds when it comes to stupidity and I guess this muppet has been watching too many war movies but .....

Venlo WW2 explosive: Don't lie down on bombs, Dutch warned http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46828770

The Dutch public have been warned it is "strictly ill-advised to lie down on a bomb", after a man did just that for about three hours.
The man came across an unexploded World War Two device while gardening in the town of Venlo on Wednesday.
When it started whistling he covered it with his body, apparently trying to limit the damage.
Nearby residents were evacuated and the device proved harmless. The man was treated for symptoms of hypothermia.
The device was variously described as a grenade or a shell.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 05:57 PM

Re: Warning do not lay on a bomb !

He might think that he's a latter-day Hans Brinker
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 05:43 PM

Perhaps he is the modern-day equivalent of the boy who stuck his finger in the dyke?
Same country, after all!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Perhaps he is the modern-day equivalent of the boy who stuck his finger in the dyke?
Same country, after all!

Aye, that was Hans Brinker according to legend but that name was made up. It was actually a canal worker's son whose name escapes me at the minute.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 11:41 PM

When I was a child in Folkestone (1950s) it was relatively common for WWII mines to wash up on the beach (I say common, it probably happened two or three times a year when I was present but I did spent a lot of time at the beach)

There would be one of these things rolling about in the waves on their 'spikes' with everybody gathered around watching. Eventually you would hear the bells of a police car arriving and everybody was made to vacate the sands until the bomb disposal mob arrived to tow it off shore in a borrowed row boat and detonate it. It added a bit of spice to the seaside.

Apparently the time was just right for the cables to rust through of the 'lost 'mines and they bobbed to the surface and were carried on the tides.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top