Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 08:36 PM

Welsh farmers and Brexit

I post this here as for some reason I can't post on the Brexit threads

The Welsh farmers are saying a No deal will ruin them .
Why don't we just buy Welsh meat ?
Is it too expensive ?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 09:22 PM

Re: Welsh farmers and Brexit

I think it's to do with subsidies ... these out-of-the-way non profit making farms across the EU are paid billions (collectively) to continue operating.

In fact I'd be surprised if there's a single UK farmer who voted brexit.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 09:28 PM

I have a friend ( Northern Ireland sheep farmer ) and years ago I remember him saying he gets £32,000 year EU subsidy for farming on hill land ... I imagine it’s more today
Also I notice these past two years many fields around here that havnt been used for years are suddenly being ploughed and used so I’m thinking farmers will run a fiddle claiming loss of earnings and want government subsidies
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I think it's to do with subsidies ... these out-of-the-way non profit making farms across the EU are paid billions (collectively) to continue operating.

In fact I'd be surprised if there's a single UK farmer who voted brexit.

Loads voted brexit

I worked for Ipsos Mori in the lead up to brexit and I canvassed North Antrim which is a farming community and believe me, we voted brexit here
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 09:33 PM

I knew an Irish farmer once ( some 25 years ago) who told me he made a lot of money from ' set aside '
Ie he was paid money NOT to farm some of the land.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I knew an Irish farmer once ( some 25 years ago) who told me he made a lot of money from ' set aside '
Ie he was paid money NOT to farm some of the land.
My mate bought the farm next door too , leaves the house etc empty but claims another Eu subsidy for that farm

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top