Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2019, 11:58 AM

Re: Dysfunctional Parliament

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Not always profitable for the buyer. Leyland was taken over by daf trucks, netherlands in 1987. In 1993 they eent bust. Not only laid back at boardroom level.
In 1996 the amercans took over and made the remaining production facilities a lot more efficient. It cost a lot of jobs for production workers, but simultaneously a lot of new jobs were created at technical and it level. Eindhoven tech students had it easy to find a job. A lot are living in leyland where daf trucks has facilitues assembling their vans and trucks.
So it was profitable in the right hands.

When i was studying for economics A level in the 80s the college took us for a day trip to the austin rover factory. They showed us the state of the art robots they were using to make production more efficient. Yet the company folded at some point later. They were one of the big British manufacturers. Not sure what went wrong. I guess others started making better cars and they were complacent at board level. It's the same across different sectors. Ostrich thinking.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2019, 04:21 PM

Re: Dysfunctional Parliament

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
So it was profitable in the right hands.
Absolutely. Therefore I am not afraid of the rise of it-technology. It will cost conventional jobs, but create new (kind of) jobs simultaneously.

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top