Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 12:32 PM

When shopping, I'm always saying SORRY !!

For example, during a visit to a local town Centre, today, I found myself saying "Sorry" every time someone walked into me, every time someone was coming out of a shop I was going into, every time someone was blocking my way down a passageway, every time I held up the cashier queue for a few microseconds whilst getting my wallet out.

Is it just me being stupid?

Or is it a British trait?

Tomorrow, I plan to cut the "Sorrys" by half!

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 12:38 PM

Re: When shopping, I'm always saying SORRY !!

Definitely cut the 'sorrys'.

I think it is built into us Brits to apologise (over a certain age anyway) but if you take a step back, you realise that not everyone is as polite any more. Before you say it, just wait a second and see if the person who crashed into you says 'sorry' before you reply 'that's OK'. If they don't say anything then your own silence says it all.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 12:42 PM

My son does that.
If someone bumps into me, I say excuse me, quite loudly.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 01:28 PM

You are being courteous,Ted C,..
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Definitely cut the 'sorrys'.

I think it is built into us Brits to apologise (over a certain age anyway) but if you take a step back, you realise that not everyone is as polite any more. Before you say it, just wait a second and see if the person who crashed into you says 'sorry' before you reply 'that's OK'. If they don't say anything then your own silence says it all.

Very true,LD,like Ted I was always saying sorry,then the light bulb came on.i have certainly cut my sorries,unless it's my fault.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
My son does that.
If someone bumps into me, I say excuse me, quite loudly.

Variation on a theme - I tend to say, rather loudly, "How much room do you need"???
crinauk
New Member!
United Kingdom
crinauk is female 

15-02-2019, 01:43 PM

I was a serial sorrier too ! I tried to stop saying it but its such a habit that now I say - Sorry am I invisible ?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 01:47 PM

Second variation: "we'd all be better off if you went round me, instead of trying to go through me".
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 02:20 PM

I’m a compulsive sorrier also
It’s pathetic
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 03:31 PM

I think it's better to be a sorrier than to be rude or sarcastic.

Everyone can make a mistake and be in someone's way, for whatever reason, and they may be distracted by a worry or something.
Even if they are just being plain rude, I wouldn't want to lower my standards to be rude to them.

Anyway, I feel it's better to give a good example than a bad one, and to be in credit for when I'm worrying about something, get distracted, and forget to say excuse me!

So I shall probably carry on saying sorry when someone bumps into me!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top