Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 03:33 PM

Re: When shopping, I'm always saying SORRY !!

Yes, it's definitely a Brit trait.
When I started conversing with a Brit friend, he threw that in every sentence, and I didn't connect the dots at first. In the US we tend to say excuse me, but only if we are the cause of the interruption, bump, or whatever. In England, it sounds as if you are apologizing for making any move at all. Over the top politeness, TBH.

I say be polite, but curtail half of the "sorries".
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
For example, during a visit to a local town Centre, today, I found myself saying "Sorry" every time someone walked into me, every time someone was coming out of a shop I was going into, every time someone was blocking my way down a passageway, every time I held up the cashier queue for a few microseconds whilst getting my wallet out.

Is it just me being stupid?

Or is it a British trait?

Tomorrow, I plan to cut the "Sorrys" by half!

Yes it's a british trait another trait is if your car is the only one in a carpark you can guarantee the very next car in will park next to you
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 03:56 PM

I'm forever saying I'm sorry.

Sorry about that.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 04:08 PM

For example, during a visit to a local town Centre, today, I found myself saying "Sorry" every time someone walked into me, every time someone was coming out of a shop I was going into, every time someone was blocking my way down a passageway, every time I held up the cashier queue for a few microseconds whilst getting my wallet out.

Is it just me being stupid?

Or is it a British trait?

Tomorrow, I plan to cut the "Sorrys" by half!

I know what you mean, Ted, I'm just the same.

I remember a nice chap I used to see, telling me me once to stop apologising to everyone, he said I did it all the time, even when thing's weren't my fault.
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 05:01 PM

Sorry for posting on this thread I will leave immediately
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
Sorry for posting on this thread I will leave immediately
Sorry DW, was it something I said?

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Second variation: "we'd all be better off if you went round me, instead of trying to go through me".
That's a bus ride surely?

Sorry!
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 05:10 PM

Sorry DW, was it something I said?

No Tedc all my fault I do apologise profusely
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by basser ->
Yes it's a british trait another trait is if your car is the only one in a carpark you can guarantee the very next car in will park next to you
That should be in the 'What annoys you' thread. Always happens, especially if you have just got your sarnies out.
DWebb
North East, UK

15-02-2019, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That should be in the 'What annoys you' thread. Always happens, especially if you have just got your sarnies out.
As long as it is just your sarnies

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top