Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 04:52 PM

Re: Let the train take the strain

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Perhaps, but you have to be a senior citizen to get one of those. I don't qualify. I'm sure by the time I get to the qualifying age there will be no benefits or they will raise the threshold.

They have few decent advance fares. Unless you want to travel at midnight with the party goers and hen nights.
zWhat do you call decent ?
Example .Virgin website .Manchester to London for a long weekend , out on Friday 21st March @ 11.35 Advance fare no railcard £29 , back on Monday 25th @ 12 noon Advance fare no railcard £25 .
Is that £54 not decent for that distance ?
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 04:56 PM

That’s great if you plan your life in advance however if you were to decide to go tomorrow I imagine the price would go up some what
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 05:01 PM

We've had a few trips from Bedfordshire to Yorkshire recently,
Believe it or not, it was cheaper to use our local cab company for the day than for two adults to go by train. And a damn sight more convenient being door to door.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
That’s great if you plan your life in advance however if you were to decide to go tomorrow I imagine the price would go up some what
Yes I do plan my life in advance as far as possible, I would never dream of paying walkon fares despite having a railcard.
If I was going tomorrow I would still be able to get a cheaper ticket than walkon and did you know if you break your journey up into several parts instead of a through journey you can save ?
I know this because ? I happened to be behind a couple at the station ticket collection machine who had to go to Cornwall the next day because of an emergency .They took quite a while so much so that they apologised and told me why saying they couldn't afford the original quoted price .
Zuleika
North West UK

16-02-2019, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
We've had a few trips from Bedfordshire to Yorkshire recently,
Believe it or not, it was cheaper to use our local cab company for the day than for two adults to go by train. And a damn sight more convenient being door to door.
I find that difficult to believe . Using a cab all day including waiting time?
Do you have to travel into London to get a train up to say Leeds ? Just asking .
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
I find that difficult to believe . Using a cab all day including waiting time?
Do you have to travel into London to get a train up to say Leeds ? Just asking .
Suspend your disbelief otherwise the inference is that you consider me to be a liar. That's not nice.

We have used the same driver for a number of trips since last June. His first job for us was collecting my dear wife's family from Heathrow when they came over from Georgia.

He has since taken us to Barnsly, Rotherham, and various others. On Tuesday, he will take us to the vet with our dog and the following week to the groomer.

A bit of background. We are moving up north and have looked at several properties in South Yorkshire. We needed to view them and getting there by train was expensive not to mention tortuous with changes and timing. Plus taxi fares at both ends.

I did drive the trip, in fact I drove a lot on business but cataracts prevent that now. Operation in a few weeks, I hope, will remedy that.

BTW - convenience? Our driver lives just two doors away. And his children love our big hairy dog. The younger daughter came in to our house today to feed him a carrot.
Zuleika
North West UK

16-02-2019, 07:16 PM

Besoeker ,sorry for the misunderstanding , not inferring you're a liar. ,I said I found it difficult to believe using a taxi for a day would run cheaper than train fare .
I can do from my home to say Blackpool on the train for a third of what my regular taximan quotes me,so you are fortunate .
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 07:17 PM

Wasn’t the rail companies privatised to increase competition so as to make the fares cheaper?, same as the utilities?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

16-02-2019, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Besoeker ,sorry for the misunderstanding , not inferring you're a liar. ,I said I found it difficult to believe using a taxi for a day would run cheaper than train fare .
I can do from my home to say Blackpool on the train for a third of what my regular taximan quotes me,so you are fortunate .
Yes, fortunate to have such good neighbours. Next door is a tecniguy who fixes computers, a few doors down we have neighbours who dog sit for us, across the way is a handyman..................and a few others.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 09:07 PM

My son in law travels to London nearly every day with his job. His annual ticket is £8,500 but his company pays.

My daughter flew to Texas, Dallas last week with her job, her business class ticket was £5,500.

How do these companies afford it?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top