Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 10:24 PM

Re: Let the train take the strain

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Suspend your disbelief otherwise the inference is that you consider me to be a liar. That's not nice.

We have used the same driver for a number of trips since last June. His first job for us was collecting my dear wife's family from Heathrow when they came over from Georgia.

He has since taken us to Barnsly, Rotherham, and various others. On Tuesday, he will take us to the vet with our dog and the following week to the groomer.

A bit of background. We are moving up north and have looked at several properties in South Yorkshire. We needed to view them and getting there by train was expensive not to mention tortuous with changes and timing. Plus taxi fares at both ends.

I did drive the trip, in fact I drove a lot on business but cataracts prevent that now. Operation in a few weeks, I hope, will remedy that.

BTW - convenience? Our driver lives just two doors away. And his children love our big hairy dog. The younger daughter came in to our house today to feed him a carrot.
That's exciting - perhaps I may yet meet your gorgeous dog!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2019, 09:20 AM

Its ever so quiet here at the moment and for the next nine days!!! - No trains to and from London (I live within hearing distance of the railway) as Network Rail have decided to repair and replace some of the track and repair the tunnels between Brighton and Three Bridges (a station half way to London) so have stopped all trains.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2019, 11:59 AM

There will be bus services in place then ?
I recall a couple of years ago when Southern were suddenly at random suspending some services from London and I was on my way to Eastbourne ,the station staff put me on the Gatwick Express instructing me there would be a bus at Three Bridges to take me to Lewes where I could then pick up a train into Eastbourne. What a pleasant journey that bus ride was , the sun shone all the way and there was only me and one other on the bus !
Lewes rail station has a lovely little cafe .
From Eastbourne I went to Brighton ,one of my favourite Southern coast places for a day out or maybe more although I was amazed how hilly a place it is , the station is high up from the beach area ?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2019, 12:17 PM

[QUOTE=Zuleika;1642648]There will be bus services in place then ?
I recall a couple of years ago when Southern were suddenly at random suspending some services from London and I was on my way to Eastbourne ,the station staff put me on the Gatwick Express instructing me there would be a bus at Three Bridges to take me to Lewes where I could then pick up a train into Eastbourne. What a pleasant journey that bus ride was , the sun shone all the way and there was only me and one other on the bus !
Lewes rail station has a lovely little cafe .
From Eastbourne I went to Brighton ,one of my favourite Southern coast places for a day out or maybe more although I was amazed how hilly a place it is , the station is high up from the beach area ?[/QUOTE]

Zuleika darlin' - Brighton is in the heart of the South Downs !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDeH6vs4kEA
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2019, 12:45 PM

Eastbourne is too isn’t it but the station is easily accessible if folks have been out on a day trip by rail ?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

17-02-2019, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Eastbourne is too isn’t it but the station is easily accessible if folks have been out on a day trip by rail ?

No, Zuleika darlin' - Eastbourne is not in the South Downs, the South Downs end at Beachy Head.
Zuleika
North West UK

17-02-2019, 03:01 PM

Oh ! Thankyou for that correction , I’ve been on the bus that takes people up there anyway ,most enjoyable .

Back to trains anyway . How many tralvellers bother to look up the cheapest fare despite sites advertising them ?
Perhaps they simply want to moan about how extortionately expensive it is to travel by rail ?

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top