Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 01:11 PM

There Are Millions Of Lambs In Wales, So Why Is It So Expensive?

Can someone please tell me why Welsh Lamb is so bloomin expensive.?

I live ½ mile from the border with Wales, Wales has millions of sheep, yet Welsh Lamb, even in Wales itself, it appears to be the truffle of the meat world. I can’t remember the last time we had a Roast Lamb dinner on a Sunday, Chicken, Pork, Beef, Gammon, Duck Breast, yes, but Lamb? No, It’s not because we can’t afford it, it’s just that I refuse to pay the exorbitant prices being asked. £15 for a shoulder of Welsh Lamb at my butcher.???

Who on earth is getting the profit from these ridiculous prices? The shopper certainly isn’t benefiting from an abundance of lambs. And it certainly isn’t the farmers, they usually sell their lamb at £3.50 per kilo, but you look in places like Tesco and there is no British Lamb joints under £10 and some of the cuts, like Shoulder, were £14.

I miss my Lamb with Mint Sauce and all the trimmings for a Sunday lunch, but I am certainly not going to pay those daylight robbery prices.

The worst thing is, that New Zealand Lamb, which as you all no doubt know, was always cheaper than British Lamb, is now exactly the same price!

I really think there should be an investigation into the pricing of Lamb. Someone, somewhere is making too much of a profit and it should be stopped.

What say you?
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 01:14 PM

Re: There Are Millions Of Lambs In Wales, So Why Is It So Expensive?

Why so expensive ?

You ever tried getting a sheep off a Welshman ?!!!!!
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 01:21 PM

It’s the cost of the wellies
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
Why so expensive ?

You ever tried getting a sheep off a Welshman ?!!!!!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 01:33 PM

Besides that! Do you buy Lamb? or is it now a once-in-a-lifetime luxury dinner? It's now even more expensive than two best fillet steaks!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 01:40 PM

I don't know why it's so expensive .
On the subject of lambs the BVA ( British Veterinary Association) wants to ban the export of unstunned Halal lamb which appareantly is big business from the UK .

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...lamb-rbf59b6k0
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 01:40 PM

I'm not fond of lamb in any case - too fatty, but if I was, I wouldn't buy it as it's far too expensive. Beef is going the same way, it's an expensive luxury these days apart from a bit of shin or brisket.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

16-02-2019, 02:08 PM

I wonder if it will become more or less expensive after Brexit? The way prices have risen, I can see Mutton (the poor man's lamb) once again becoming popular. Either that or even more will convert to Vegetarianism., as meat becomes ever more beyond our pockets.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 02:30 PM

To be "lamb" the animal must slaughtered before reaching 12 months in age. Otherwise it is "hogget" or "mutton". A 12 month old sheep does not have much meat on it. Since livestock raised for lamb meat spends such a high percentage of it's lifespan in infancy, the sheep require much more care, where as a cow only requires care during it's infancy but then it is raised for several more years in a much lower-maintenance fashion before it is slaughtered for beef.

Google is your friend.....
I luv lamb, yes I am welsh...
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 03:10 PM

£14 for a shoulder doesn't sound expensive to me. You could feed a family of 5 or 6 on that with lots of veg and gravy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top