Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 03:37 PM

Re: There Are Millions Of Lambs In Wales, So Why Is It So Expensive?

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
Why so expensive ?

You ever tried getting a sheep off a Welshman ?!!!!!
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
To be "lamb" the animal must slaughtered before reaching 12 months in age. Otherwise it is "hogget" or "mutton". A 12 month old sheep does not have much meat on it. Since livestock raised for lamb meat spends such a high percentage of it's lifespan in infancy, the sheep require much more care, where as a cow only requires care during it's infancy but then it is raised for several more years in a much lower-maintenance fashion before it is slaughtered for beef.

Google is your friend.....
I luv lamb, yes I am welsh...
I had no idea. I personally hate lamb but this is interesting. Poor baby sheeps.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 03:43 PM

Here in the states lamb isn't one of the more popular dishes. It is rarely seen on our menus. I only had it twice, when much younger, and didn't care for the taste, too greasy for me.

Now, I will watch for it when out to dinner, just to check on the cost.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 03:44 PM

I agree SG lamb has been stupidly expensive for some time and you'll find that many supermarkets don't have decent joints very often and they are very over-priced.

I buy the majority of my meat from a reputable farm shop but I noticed recently that MACRO stores have very good stocks of lamb.

You can buy very large joints of rolled shoulder and the like for about £24. I bought a couple of those and chopped each into 3 separate roasting joints and then put them in the freezer. That's 2 joints big enough for 2 people and 1 joint big enough for 3 (when the MIL comes over for Sunday lunch).

Much better value for money.

Don't buy small individual joints imo. Buy large and carve up yourself into whatever size you need.

I do the same with meat from the farm shop. I buy entire pork loins which I slice up into individual loin chops/steaks when I get home and freeze them in individual bags.

I buy long beef fillets which I slice up into individual ones and freeze and so on.

Ignore supermarkets if you can. Their meat produce is crap.
Farm shops are the way to go and bulk buying is the way to save money.

If you can find somewhere to order an entire lamb and have it butchered then that's a great way to save money and get excellent produce.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 05:21 PM

Hi

You would be surprised how many Farm Shops buy wholesale from the slaughterhouse.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
Why so expensive ?

You ever tried getting a sheep off a Welshman ?!!!!!

You ever tried getting a Welshman off a sheep

Why not try English Lamb it's just as good.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by basser ->

Why not try English Lamb it's just as good.

all from Spain originally.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 06:45 PM

Lamb seemed to go up all of a sudden some years ago but never came down again.
Yet, after Chernobyl, they couldn’t get rid of it fast enough, at a cheap price.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 08:32 PM

The reason is as follows :

Welsh lamb is considered the best in the world, and therefore fetches a high price for export to Europe. If the Welsh farmers sold it to us at home more cheaply, they are losing out.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top