Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 12:15 PM

Sleeping With the Far Right.

Did anyone watch the Channel 4 programme “Sleeping with the Far Right” last night? If not, may I respectfully suggest that you watch it on catch up.

It was meant to be an investigation into the rise of racist, hate-filled nationalism in Britain.
Radio 1 DJ, Alice Levine, spent a week living in the home of an extremist blogger, Jack Sen, his mother and his young family, trying to work out why he spent his days venting his bile on the internet.

Boy, was this DJ way out of her depth! She had never conducted an investigation before and it certainly showed! From the moment he opened his mouth and spewed out his hatred of all blacks, homosexuals and multiculturism, instead of arguing the point, she instead just helplessly rolled her eyes. She was so in fear of this man, she seemed totally incapable of asking the searching questions that viewers must have been crying out for her to ask.

Instead,she seemed to treat the event like a celebrity Bushtucker trial - How much foul ranting could Alice take before screaming “Get me out of here!”. She was so terrified during her stay she was incapable of doing the job correctly.

The culmination of this train-wreck investigation was that after Alice was treated so rudely during an online interview with Nick Grifffin, ex leader of the BNP, Jack Sen then turned on Alice himself with one of the most nastiest tantrums I have ever witnessed in a television documentary. She just stood there like a startled deer caught in a car’s headlights, all this while staying in his home and standing in his living room. It was unbelievable, and by far the worst thing I have ever witnessed on a live documentary.

How Channel 4 could ever justify televising this (words fail me) is beyond comprehension.
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 12:41 PM

Re: Sleeping With the Far Right.

I watched it and agree she wins the Chocolate Teapot award.
She seemed incapable of challenging him.
Apart from exposing this disgusting individual, who showed real anger
when his Indian parentage was disclosed , the programme achieved nothing.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 01:15 PM

Now, you see, I don't agree that she was ineffectual.

Although she was no Louis Theroux, I felt that the similar non-combative style she adopted did far more to show these people up than any amount of challenging would have.

Challenging their thought processes would have achieved nothing, but I did think that her neutral approach made the sudden change in his mood much more startling and more effective than a debate would have.

I was quite surprised at how much information he gave out about his methods, and the ghastly reaction to his birth name being slipped out was very telling.

It was a salutary lesson in not taking the smiles and bonhomie of these far-right people at face value. There was an extremely unpleasant undercurrent of potential violence at the end that was very, very telling.

To be honest, I think she was very brave to take these people on in the way she did. It scared me to death!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 03:00 PM

Hi

Been married for most of my adult life.

Never slept with the Far Right.

Completely used to having the duvet disappear at the first inclining of cold weather.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 06:53 PM

I've made a start to the prog. When the mother said Trump has done a huge number of good things the dim girl didn't even have the sense ask her to list a few (to see if she could).

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top