Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2009, 02:53 PM

The answer is a lemon

That is, if the question is - "What is the subject of those pictures?"

I'm really pleased with my lemon tree. It's about as tall as I am now and has the two (green) lemons shown in the first picture, which are about small egg size now. Lots and lots of flowers but I don't know if they will set fruit? The tree is supposed to bear fruit for the majority of the year. The flowers are beautifully fragrant.

Not great pics - apologies
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2009, 03:06 PM

Re: The answer is a lemon

It looks a healthy tree, DM......will the fruit be edible?

Do the leaves have a citrus smell?
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2009, 03:33 PM

Yes to both Mags - edible fruit and citrus leaves
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2009, 04:10 PM

I love citrus trees, I used to have several but they succumbed! I love the fragrance, its quite strong.

Did you buy it locally?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2009, 04:14 PM

How lovely DM does I once grew a lemon tree from a pip and it reached about 8 inches before expiring ..
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2009, 04:39 PM

Love it, something different...What kind of conditions does it need DM??
dinahsmum
SW England

23-09-2009, 04:48 PM

It can take down to -5C apparently.
It needs citrus compost and weekly feed - not a lot else.
Mine is 'lovin it' under the veranda

I got it mail order (internet order I suppose) from gardenbargains and am very pleased with the condition it was in, secure packaging etc. It is a proper little tree, a nice straight single stem and it's as tall as me now
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2009, 05:00 PM

I grew a dwarf one once in a pot indoors, it produced one absolutely enormous lemon and then promptly died!
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2009, 05:42 PM

Will it need protection for the winter?? think I would have to grow it indoors up here, gets so cold in the winter...
dinahsmum
SW England

23-09-2009, 05:52 PM

Here's the link - there's even a video. They say OK down to -5C.
I've got one of those tubular fleece covers for the winter if it's hard but -5 is pretty rare here. We did carry it in and out of the garage in those cold February/March nights earlier this year but only because it was newly arrived. It's in terracotta now, so would be too heavy anyway.

I'd imagine you might have to bring yours into the conservatory sometimes Moli, though they're not 'designed' to be total indoor plants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top