Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2012, 07:36 AM

Re: Kids

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I totally disagree with this unless you live on a main thoroughfare then the street is often the best place to play especially when you have something that needs a solid surface to run as opposed to grass (skateboarding, cycling, rollerskating, scootering(?)). Kids should be perfectly safe in a suburban street if drivers behave responsibly.

What is so hard about driving slowly in your own street? Let the kids play and enjoy themselves it is after all a public street - theirs as much as yours. What is the world coming to when kids can't play safely in their own street?
Bruce is it safer to have your kids playing in your backyard/ garden or on the street where Paedophiles can get to them?
Are roads made for kids to play on or Traffic to use?
Do kids pay tax to use the roads?
Are kids in sight of their guardians when they are on the road?
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2012, 11:12 AM

Kids should be in their own gardens or better still in parks and places designed for the purpose. Roads are not safe and who wants the noise of lots of screaming kids outside their house. Not me for sure.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Bruce is it safer to have your kids playing in your backyard/ garden or on the street where Paedophiles can get to them?
Are roads made for kids to play on or Traffic to use?
Do kids pay tax to use the roads?
Are kids in sight of their guardians when they are on the road?
Paedophiles rarely take children off the street they are usually relatives or trusted friends who have easy access to your kids which would seem to indicate that the garden is a far more dangerous place for that sort of activity.

Misperception 2: Child sex offenders target strangers

Although parents often fear that strangers will abuse their children, it has been well-documented that most child sex offenders are known to their victims.

Please note I specifically said "not a thoroughfare', suburban streets are a community resource as was evident by the number of street parties held in them for the Golden Jubilee. The tax argument is just silly - their parents pay tax.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2012, 01:14 PM

At 3 years old a child should be under constant supervision by a parent or responsible carer and never out of sight of a responsible person, there are a million and one things that can happen very quickly to a small child who has no concept of danger.

Someone should attempt to make the parents of this small child aware of that.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2012, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Paedophiles rarely take children off the street they are usually relatives or trusted friends who have easy access to your kids which would seem to indicate that the garden is a far more dangerous place for that sort of activity.

Misperception 2: Child sex offenders target strangers

Although parents often fear that strangers will abuse their children, it has been well-documented that most child sex offenders are known to their victims.

Please note I specifically said "not a thoroughfare', suburban streets are a community resource as was evident by the number of street parties held in them for the Golden Jubilee. The tax argument is just silly - their parents pay tax.
Tell that to the families of Brady and Hindley's victims or Jamie Bulgers parents just to name two stranger taking sets of victims.

KIDS should be under supervision at all times. Look at the number of kids hit by cars, plus it is always the drivers fault.

Bruce, you remind me of todays parents who have only their own social life at the fore, not their kids welfare.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2012, 10:53 AM

quote...suburban streets are a community resource as was evident by the number of street parties held in them for the Golden Jubilee....unquote

I believe that all streets holding street parties for the above event had to get permission from the authorities for this. Residents who live on a street cannot simply use them as they wish. Also it isn't just the danger from paedophiles, there are many, many ways in which small children can come to grief and like it or not it is up to the parents or carers to supervise small children at all times. For sure accidents will always happen but many could be prevented if parents/carers looked after their children as they should.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2012, 02:00 PM

I've lived on quiet streets and busy streets. I've seen games played safely on the road with drivers taking care as they pass the kids, and I've seen pets (no children fortunately) killed in traffic.

It's not a black-and-white situation. We can argue the pros and cons all you like but nothing changes the fact that children should be supervised whether on their own property or in the street.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2012, 02:02 PM

I noticed a 3 year old climbing on a parked car this summer. He scrambled from one end to the other, jumped from the roof to the trunk and slid down the windshield. I was worried he'd slip off into the street as a car passed. The front door of the house was open but there was no sign of an adult watching him.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2012, 04:40 PM

I can't understand why people have kids if they are obviously a nuisance and have to be sent off outside on their own as young as 3. I have never wanted children because they do nothing for me other than irritate but because I've not had any I haven't hurt or neglected any either. Its not mandatory to have them these days but if you do have them they deserve to be looked after and not be put in danger. Like the McCanns when it was more important to go out to dinner with their friends than to look after their young children. There should be more charges of neglect brought against these parents then perhaps they would think twice about the way they bring up their children.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2012, 11:41 PM

Sorry to post in this old thread but my wife had the same thing happen today when she was going to somebodies house she sees for her job (she's a social worker), and as she turned the corner there were 4 children under 6 playing on the road. This was at 3:30PM and it was starting to get dark.

She stopped in plenty time luckily but this isn't the first time she's had to stop for those same children.

If you have a child - BE A PARENT. Honestly.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top