Join for free
Page 2 of 79 < 1 2 3 4 12 52 > Last »
MrsH
Hampshire, UK
MrsH is female  MrsH has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2009, 10:47 AM

Re: What do you remember???

Do you remember those strong lavatory papers nasty stuff!

We used to have dolly blue bags to make the whites look really good on washday, and a hand-operated mangle to squeeze out the water.

I grew up in a coal-mining village where the houses had few facilities, most people had a tin bath which was hung outside when not being used. We also had outside lavatories with white-washed walls and paraffin heaters in the Winter to stop the pipes from freezing.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2009, 11:17 AM

What about Cremola Foam?
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2009, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by MrsH ->
Do you remember those strong lavatory papers nasty stuff!

We used to have dolly blue bags to make the whites look really good on washday, and a hand-operated mangle to squeeze out the water.

I grew up in a coal-mining village where the houses had few facilities, most people had a tin bath which was hung outside when not being used. We also had outside lavatories with white-washed walls and paraffin heaters in the Winter to stop the pipes from freezing.
I worked in a place like that but that was only 20 years ago. Local Authority too - it was the designated disabled loo as the only indoors one was upstairs.
Jan
Scotland
Jan is female  Jan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2009, 11:27 AM

Does anyone remember real candles on Christmas trees or did I imagine that?
I was 4 when we moved to a house with electricity so I can just remember gas lights. Then of course it was so exciting moving. I remember the day the television arrived. We all looked at the test card, because of course it arrived in the afternoon, and there were no programmes to watch
Vicki
Croydon, Surrey
Vicki is female 

07-08-2009, 11:28 AM

Do you remember when you used to turn your TV off and the picture disappeared and a small dot of light replaced it? This eventually went out.......
angieh
Hampshire, UK

07-08-2009, 11:30 AM

..... and standing in front of the TV for God Save The Queen!
Jan
Scotland
Jan is female  Jan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2009, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Vicki ->
Do you remember when you used to turn your TV off and the picture disappeared and a small dot of light replaced it? This eventually went out.......
Oh yes and I remember God save the Queen though we usually switched off then. I remember it in the cinema as well.
Vicki
Croydon, Surrey
Vicki is female 

07-08-2009, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jan ->
Oh yes and I remember God save the Queen though we usually switched off then. I remember it in the cinema as well.
Crikey, yep, me too. Weren't we respectful! Something the youth of today could do with a bit more of......

Now I'm really showing my age......
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2009, 08:01 PM

Oh my goodness-Ajax and Vim-they certainly took the skin off your fingers. Some of you might be too young to remember these-'donkey stones' ? (and no I'm not 7 score years and 10!) but I can remember people used to use them on the edge of their doorsteps and window ledges and if you dare step onto the whitening you'd get into big trouble. Dolly Tubs and Wash Boards anyone???:-
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2009, 10:39 PM

Remember when fish and chips used to be wrapped in newspaper?

Page 2 of 79 < 1 2 3 4 12 52 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top