Join for free
Page 3 of 79 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 > Last »
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2009, 10:50 PM

Re: What do you remember???

what about knee length socks that wouldn't stay up (before lycra!) and liberty bodices!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 03:22 AM

Oh, we had Camay soap here also! And Rinso laundry detergent powder. And I am old enough to remember real candles on a Christmas tree, although not in our house. And yes, the TV that faded slowly to a bright spot and went off. And when TV ended at midnight and there was just snow on the screen! And my Mom had a wash board; we didn't get a washing machine until after the War. Trip down memory lane ....
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Remember when fish and chips used to be wrapped in newspaper?
Oooh yes they tasted so much nicer then.
Do you remeber Bobby socks
and doing PE in your Navy Knickers
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by madmare ->
Oooh yes they tasted so much nicer then.
Do you remeber Bobby socks
and doing PE in your Navy Knickers
Our school had royal blue ones!!!
Sweep
Kent UK
Sweep is female  Sweep has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 07:18 PM

Anyone remember having a Mangle.....we didn't have one but our nextdoor neighbour did & we used to use that, it was a huge thing Metal framework & big wooden rollers - did the job though!
Jan
Scotland
Jan is female  Jan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 07:57 PM

I remember seeing a mangle in an outhouse but I don't think I ever saw it being used.
I do remember my mother's single tub washing machine had a mangle attachment that she used for sheets and towels.
It also had another attachment like a mangle, but with bigger padded rollers that pressed/ironed things.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 08:19 PM

Our first washing machine had the rollers for squeezing out the water also ...sure beat doing it by hand!
Vicki
Croydon, Surrey
Vicki is female 

08-08-2009, 09:36 PM

My mum used a mangle - the clothes felt almost dry when they had been through it two or three times.

I used to boil my daughters towelling nappies in a "Baby Burco" - they were the whitest nappies in the neighbourhood!

merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by angieh ->
Our school had royal blue ones!!!
My school had bottle green yuk Remember the mangles-used to be two elderley sisters lived next door to us and they had a massive one-they always washed on a Monday as well in dolly tubs. Also remember when we were young a long tin bath and the water being warmed up in a big gas boiler and after having a bath used to put lovely warm jimjams on-they were warmed in a little oven within the fireplace-beginning to feel really old now
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

08-08-2009, 09:52 PM

Ours were an ugly shade of dark green ... definitely yuk! My grandma had a huge wrought iron bath tub on claw feet ...anyone remember those?

Page 3 of 79 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top