Join for free
Page 30 of 40 « First < 20 28 29 30 31 32 > Last »
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 02:55 PM

Re: What I've been up to

Originally Posted by Celyn ->
That's amazing Twink, obviously a very interesting (although very sad) story there.

Been for my weekly blood tests and off to the vets with two of the dogs and one cat this p.m. Daughter has come over for the day to allow me to go out.

Early morning panic carers *broke* BOTH suction machines. Essential equipment. Fortunately the OT stores rsponded and replaced within an hour.

When will you move into you new property Cate? Is it far from where you are now?

Celyn
OMG Celyn, where do these people get there destructive training from? BOTH suction machines? dear lord, good job it wasn't the week-end.

Now the work on the house has started we are looking at the end of February. Most of the work is indoor stuff so the weather may not be a consideration.

We are moving closer in land which is a shame but it is still Blackpool and is about 40mins from where we live now in Fleetwood, we are so close to the sea that we get foam and ozone on our windows. I love it but the flowers don't. If you are house-proud and like your windows clean you could go mad.

We have things to look forward to next week. Monday Shirley our new P/A starts and Thursday we get another viewing of the new vehicle we are getting through Motability. Keith will choose the colour from 3 shades of Grey.

Metallic, Iron, Astor, Black or Blanca White or Gold White.
I will have no say in the matter as there is no red.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 03:27 PM

Red is my favourite colour too Cate, but I am ashamed to admit that is because people say I look great in red dresses.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 05:00 PM

I am a woman that knows nothing about cars. So, when a friend bought a new car she was about to tell me the make, model and other details. Then she looked at me and said. 'Its red' nuff said.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 08:08 PM

Michaels Renault Master is silver, so almost a grey. Mine is a gun metal grey. It seems the latest car colour is a metallic brown. I am a blue car person really, but didn't have a choice when Michael passed his on to me and I had to sell mine. I'm a redhead so red would clash.

Motorbility are brilliant. They take every little bit of stress out of motoring. We've lost a lot of money because of the size of vehicles and having to change earlier than planned, but I still think we are quids in with all the stress removed. They will even cover carers to drive. Not that I would let carers drive but it's worth the facility, just in case.

As an aside Cate, both suction machines replaced. Then one wouldn't charge, so they had to replace again today.

Anyone taken advantage of of Black Friday? I didn't and it seems many others didn't either.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 11:11 PM

Cate I do feel bad at jumping in with both feet and I do wish you and Keith all the best.

I've been lucky so far, although 5 weeks ago I developed flashing and bad vision on my right eye. By great fortune, this happened when I was outside Specsavers. Sounds like a TV ad! Next thing I knew I had an emergency appointment at the hospital with a torn retina that was repaired by laser. I've spent this morning at the eye clinic for a checkup. Everything is fine - except for a 'jellyfish' floating in my right eye!

Just shows that we can never know what's round the corner.

Ah, the Good life. I lived in Hampshire and had a good job as a software developer working throughout the UK & Europe. One winter's day I was driving down the M1 and the road passed over a canal. I looked across and a narrow boat was chugging slowly along it. The cabin chimney was smoking and a man wrapped up in scarf and hat was at the tiller.
I thought "What the **** am I doing here".

It was some years later that Dianne and me eventually decided to pack up and move back north. That was an adventure in itself, but we bought an old house and taught ourselves many of the skills needed to reurbish it.

I never really decided whether Tom Good was a hero or an idiot. I'm not a hero, but maybe a very lucky idiot.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 11:41 PM

I think you are doing what many would do, given the right circumstances Grumblewagon. Fortunately we did a lot of long distance travel, going places that most people didn't visit. Thank goodness we did, as we could now have allot of regrets. Even after the diagnose of MND we toured the whole of Australia, and a short while afterwards the length of New Zealand. What you are doing would be right up my street. But, as you say, we do not know what is around the corner. So follow your dreams.

I am in Hampshire at present.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2015, 08:49 AM

Celyn, should you happen to know it, I lived in Horndean, walking distance from Gales Brewery. Now it's all 'Yuppy' apartments and every spare piece of land has been built on.

In Hampshire, village properties were expensive, but here in Scotland, village properties are relatively cheap. I could never have afforded the house and I now own in Hampshire.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

28-11-2015, 04:54 PM

Love the idea of being self sufficient, however, as I get older I am less and less sufficiently efficient. Many years ago I lived in the Caribbean, and we were very poor, we lived off of the land. I learned how to use vegetables that I had only heard off. I made chips out of green bananas, we had chickens so we always had eggs, we had a cow, which the children used to bring into the house so we always had milk.

My children lived on pancakes, they used to take them to school the other kids would ask them what they were and my children told them it was jumby food. We were looked on as very brave as we lived up in the mountain side with no electric only kerosene lamps and the mountains were where the jumbies lived.

We had goats and the idea was that we ate the meat when they were older, we were also supposed to eat the chickens. Trouble is when you have watched things born, or named something it is not easy to even hurt them leave alone kill and cook them. So unless someone close by was butchering a bull we did not eat meat unless it was corned beef out of a tin. However, we were poor so we tried to live on the land.

I made ginger beer from ginger we had grown. Sugar and flour and powdered milk were subsidised by the government so they were basics that were affordable.

We lived there for 2 years until I became very ill and my father in law paid for us to go to the United States where we lived for another 8 years until, I had had enough and came back to England leaving behind a drunkard husband and a eldest son who was by that time a very good musician and didn't want to leave his band.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2015, 05:01 PM

Wow Cate your life at that time sounds very hard .... but what an adventure !!!!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2015, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
Love the idea of being self sufficient, however, as I get older I am less and less sufficiently efficient. Many years ago I lived in the Caribbean, and we were very poor, we lived off of the land. I learned how to use vegetables that I had only heard off. I made chips out of green bananas, we had chickens so we always had eggs, we had a cow, which the children used to bring into the house so we always had milk.

My children lived on pancakes, they used to take them to school the other kids would ask them what they were and my children told them it was jumby food. We were looked on as very brave as we lived up in the mountain side with no electric only kerosene lamps and the mountains were where the jumbies lived.

We had goats and the idea was that we ate the meat when they were older, we were also supposed to eat the chickens. Trouble is when you have watched things born, or named something it is not easy to even hurt them leave alone kill and cook them. So unless someone close by was butchering a bull we did not eat meat unless it was corned beef out of a tin. However, we were poor so we tried to live on the land.

I made ginger beer from ginger we had grown. Sugar and flour and powdered milk were subsidised by the government so they were basics that were affordable.

We lived there for 2 years until I became very ill and my father in law paid for us to go to the United States where we lived for another 8 years until, I had had enough and came back to England leaving behind a drunkard husband and a eldest son who was by that time a very good musician and didn't want to leave his band.
Oh Cate, it may not have been the happiest time of your life, but I could listen to those stories often. What an adventure!....although I suspect that isn't how you viewed it.

Page 30 of 40 « First < 20 28 29 30 31 32 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top