Join for free
Page 418 of 428 « First < 318 368 408 416 417 418 419 420 > Last »
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2014, 03:58 AM

Re: Your weather

We too have had it wet and windy here in the valleys. Adam was in Cardiff this afternoon and evening with friends and he left early because of the stormy weather. He says the rain was horizontal and so heavy it was as if he was being hosed, as for the wind, well he drives a passat which is quite a heavy vehicle and he says on some parts of the journey he could feel the wind trying to drive him sideways. Even now the wind is howling around the flats. But still not got heating on. We have really thick insulation up in the loft, and three years back they installed cavity walls insulation, so what with that, double glazing, and the fact have two flats below me, and two to the north of me the flat itself is not too cold. Add to that the fact that I bought some heavy cotton khaftans from the market a few years back, and with one of those on me, and a thick furry throw over the settee to snuggle up on, plus heavy curtains at the windows I are as snugg as a bug. As for the cold rear situation, well when we first moved in there was one of the cheapest plastic seats in situ, and as I am quite a 'large' lady, as is my 6'4" son, well let's say they were not very sturdy, and after two replacements I went to one of those DIY places and bought a wooden seat, no more chilly rears.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2014, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
We too have had it wet and windy here in the valleys. Adam was in Cardiff this afternoon and evening with friends and he left early because of the stormy weather. He says the rain was horizontal and so heavy it was as if he was being hosed, as for the wind, well he drives a passat which is quite a heavy vehicle and he says on some parts of the journey he could feel the wind trying to drive him sideways. Even now the wind is howling around the flats. But still not got heating on. We have really thick insulation up in the loft, and three years back they installed cavity walls insulation, so what with that, double glazing, and the fact have two flats below me, and two to the north of me the flat itself is not too cold. Add to that the fact that I bought some heavy cotton khaftans from the market a few years back, and with one of those on me, and a thick furry throw over the settee to snuggle up on, plus heavy curtains at the windows I are as snugg as a bug. As for the cold rear situation, well when we first moved in there was one of the cheapest plastic seats in situ, and as I am quite a 'large' lady, as is my 6'4" son, well let's say they were not very sturdy, and after two replacements I went to one of those DIY places and bought a wooden seat, no more chilly rears.

DM I don't suffer 'chilly rear ends' either - but then I have a cloth covered soft armchair (go look at my profile page and you'll see me sitting (laying) in it). My chair is right beside a double radiator so couldn't get cold. In addition I have one flat below me, and two more above me and the entire house is part of a terraced block so I have flats left and right of me too - there is no way I can freeze in here!!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2014, 10:31 AM

Wet and windy here. The rain wasn't really expected, but we're used to the wind. The village is on a relatively high bit of ground, so no danger of flooding. The burn at the bottom of the village overflowed once when we had heavy snow followed by a rapid thaw, but didn't cause much trouble.

Our house has thick stone walls and a good roof of Welsh and Scottish slate. It's well insulated, so it's nice and cosy.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2014, 08:29 PM

No central heating, Mollie.........brrrrrr. Very wet and windy here at the moment, so fed up with it now but when I think what is happening in other parts of the country I suppose we're lucky by comparison.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2014, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
I really feel for folk down in the south of England because of their flooding and yes, I do agree that they should have some sort of financial assistance.

It's been relatively mild up here in the NW of England compared to the South, but as I type there is yet another ferocious wind blowing.

I have no central heating now but I am keeping warm in my living room, but upstairs is very cold and sitting on the freezing loo seat is a torture to my old bum.

I hope everyone stays safe, wherever they be.
Mollie, have you considered a wooden loo seat? Much less cold on the derriere!
We've had more horrendous storms too and it doesn't do my mental health any good. The wind really wears me down.

Hope none has had any flooding problems.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2014, 09:52 PM

Cold, windy and wet here. I feel for the people who have lost all in the floods. I hope the storms stop soon.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2014, 02:33 PM

In complete contrast to yesterday, the weather was lovely this morning. I should have been wallpapering, but it was so nice to have a good day that we went to the coast for a walk and buy some fish. Clear blue sky, bright sunshine, little wind and about 8 deg.

Had a blether with a retired fisherman out walking his dog. He said he should have been painting!

Hope it lasts, although the forecast is hinting at light showers later.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2014, 04:29 PM

I am dreading the snow coming as it hasn't been at all here and when it starts will it know when to stop!Lets hope when the rain finally does stop is this going to be the norm in future or is it a one off.
ShirleyMarie
Michigan, USA
ShirleyMarie is female  ShirleyMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2014, 09:43 PM

Terribly cold here, below zero every night and just got a weather warning to expect minus 25 F tonight with strong winds. It said frost bite in a few minutes and severe hypothermia, not to go out. Last weekend we had 2 feet of snow...I am in Michigan, USA...this a rare winter for the extremes of cold.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2014, 08:36 AM

There was an interesting statistic on the news yesterday - apparently the South and South East have had more rainfall in the past two weeks than normally falls in 6 months in normal years.

Page 418 of 428 « First < 318 368 408 416 417 418 419 420 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top