Join for free
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 > Last »
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2015, 09:26 AM

Usernames

I have noticed a certain propensity, on the forum, to address people by their real first name rather than their username, whilst it can be actively discouraged on other forums it is positively encouraged on here.
I have no feelings either way I must say it's just something I have noticed
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2015, 09:41 AM

Re: Usernames

Well My Name's here for all to see,but I can't say I know Members by Their real first Names if They don't have it as Their username.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2015, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by May ->
Well My Name's here for all to see,but I can't say I know Members by Their real first Names if They don't have it as Their username.
It seems that Plantman is Barry and MKJ is Mike that's just two !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2015, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
It seems that Plantman is Barry and MKJ is Mike that's just two !
MKJ is Mark
I think its up to the individual poster what name they are going to choose to recognise the member. I don't get usernames and some of them are very longwinded so I prefer a name if they have given one
If the member doesn't want us to use the 'name' - then I wouldn't
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2015, 09:52 AM

Hello Malcolm I assume if someone puts their 'real' name in their profile it is not a secret and can be used (though it may not be a genuine name anyway).

It is not always possible to chose a preferred real name as a username, it may already have been taken by another member so a username which is different from the real name will have to be chosen .

If a real name is being used rather than a username when replying to a post, it is best to quote the person to whom you are replying to saved confusion .

I take the view we are adults here not children and personally I feel more comfortable when talking to someone if I use a real name rather than some made up name which may be long and even silly

It is all a matter of personal choice.
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2015, 10:01 AM

I don't mind being called Maursey( user name and nickname that my dear husband use to call me) or Maureen or Mo my real name. I am quite happy to be identified by anybody. No skeletons in my cupboard. Ha Ha.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2015, 10:01 AM

I prefer my user name, that is why i chose it!
I sometimes find it quite confusing when real names are used in a thread.
There's a conversation going to and fro and suddenly an alien name is popped into the mix, you think who on earth is that??
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2015, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I prefer my user name, that is why i chose it!
I sometimes find it quite confusing when real names are used in a thread.
There's a conversation going to and fro and suddenly an alien name is popped into the mix, you think who on earth is that??
Your username is the same - so no confusion there
If a person wants to be known by a name, why have 2
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2015, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Your username is the same - so no confusion there
If a person wants to be known by a name, why have 2
My user name is the same as what, Patsy?
Why on earth is it confusing if you want to use a nickname for your user name?
I don't understand your confusion!
My real name is Chardonnay
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

17-08-2015, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
My user name is the same as what, Patsy?
Why on earth is it confusing if you want to use a nickname for your user name?
I don't understand your confusion!
My real name is Chardonnay
You have 'one' name - not two

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top