Join for free
Page 27 of 27 « First < 17 25 26 27
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2016, 04:30 PM

Re: The Olympics. Love it or hate it?

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
And where?

I bet it'd get minimal viewing.
I reckon that may be the Eisteddfod, and agree about the viewing.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2016, 05:57 PM

Thinking about how much is spent on these events, it's a travesty when we see how Athens and Beijing stadiums have been totally abandoned. Images on the net.

The money given for the infrastructure of the games, from whichever pot it comes from, serves a purpose at the time, but I assume there isn't enough money in the individual pots to keep them up to scratch, or else it's 'job done who cares now' ?

Hey ho, maybe it's all classed as disposable income !

I think Greeks would like the games in Greece permanently , but could they afford it ? Probably not !
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 09:38 AM

Ever heard of Edinburgh? It's a UK city a little north of here and it hold's the biggest Arts Festival in the world for three weeks every August. It's organised by a charity and brings millions of pounds into the country every year. The festival is inclusive of all Arts and many crafts but it's not corporate,
just for individual, talented people who want to showcase their work and those who appreciate real entertainment and are prepared to get off their couches and go and find it. It has nothing to do with teams, or flag waving, unless those who come from far flung places want to show their own.

The only competition involved is in how the more popular acts get picked up by promotors and can become well known as stars in their field. The fact that the BBC has ignored the Festival this year, is yet another proof of the dumming down process that concentrates on indoctrination of viewers into controllable teams who have lost the power of independent thought.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Thinking about how much is spent on these events, it's a travesty when we see how Athens and Beijing stadiums have been totally abandoned. Images on the net.

The money given for the infrastructure of the games, from whichever pot it comes from, serves a purpose at the time, but I assume there isn't enough money in the individual pots to keep them up to scratch, or else it's 'job done who cares now' ?

Hey ho, maybe it's all classed as disposable income !

I think Greeks would like the games in Greece permanently , but could they afford it ? Probably not !
A good idea though, it's ancestral home, it could Br funded by the IOC with contributions from participating countries ?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by moreover ->
Ever heard of Edinburgh? It's a UK city a little north of here and it hold's the biggest Arts Festival in the world for three weeks every August. It's organised by a charity and brings millions of pounds into the country every year. The festival is inclusive of all Arts and many crafts but it's not corporate,
just for individual, talented people who want to showcase their work and those who appreciate real entertainment and are prepared to get off their couches and go and find it. It has nothing to do with teams, or flag waving, unless those who come from far flung places want to show their own.

The only competition involved is in how the more popular acts get picked up by promotors and can become well known as stars in their field. The fact that the BBC has ignored the Festival this year, is yet another proof of the dumming down process that concentrates on indoctrination of viewers into controllable teams who have lost the power of independent thought.
Ah yes Edinburgh..I remember that there was a big dance number, featuring twenty-five students from the local experimental theatre company performing a rumba to the Village People's YMCA - supposedly depicting the betrayal of Russian Cossacks following the Second World War. It was aimed at a niche audience just like the whole festival hence the lack of coverage.
I am more a fan of sports events like the Olympics and the Dave tv channel which did give excellent coverage of the 2016 Extreme Pint Pulling Competition from Halifax, gripping stuff if you can excuse the pun.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

23-08-2016, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I reckon that may be the Eisteddfod, and agree about the viewing.
And it's all in foreign.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2016, 10:19 AM

' The Edinburgh Festival Fringe is the largest arts festival in the world and takes place every August for three weeks in Edinburgh, Scotland’s capital city.

Every year thousands of performers take to hundreds of stages all over Edinburgh to present shows for every taste. From big names in the world of entertainment to unknown artists looking to build their careers, the festival caters for everyone and includes theatre, comedy, dance, physical theatre, circus, cabaret, children's shows, musicals, opera, music, spoken word, exhibitions and events.

In 2015 there were 50,459 performances of 3,314 shows in 313 venues, making it the largest ever arts festival in the world.'

And that's just The Fringe which launched so many of our best known stars.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

24-08-2016, 11:05 AM

Far to far away far the majority of people I would think.

Page 27 of 27 « First < 17 25 26 27

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top