Join for free
Page 51 of 79 « First < 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2011, 01:15 PM

Re: What do you remember???

Originally Posted by Jean ->
wagon wheels, when they were the proper size, not the small ones you get now in a packet!
Y E A H!!! - like the sound of that!!!!
Joan
Queensland Australia
Joan is female  Joan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Joan darlin' not too far away from where I now live is a 'Tank' museum - they have renovated a Russian T34 and its now in full working order. Wanna borrow it????
This is really funny because in the early 1980s the Qld State government, then a Rabid Right nationalist government, which kept in power by a shameless gerrymander, tried to buy some tanks, but the fed government stopped them. This was all hushed up, but - one has contacts.

I was always writing letters to the editor and getting them published, having a go at that government. In the end they went too far for even some of their own members, a big enquiry was started, some MPs and the police commissioner got serious jail time, then a Labour party got in and removed the gerrrymander, among other things.

Anyway, my husband ended up working for a Labour MP and under freedom of info, sent for our secret police files from that era. Yes, they had a stasi back then! Anyway, as well as copies of my letters to the editor, there was an enquiry about whether they could deport us, but the answer came back NO, we were already citizens!!!

It all seems unbelievable now, and of course at the time we had no idea we were being recorded and judged.

Anyroad - I'd better pass on the tank!!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Joan ->
This is really funny because in the early 1980s the Qld State government, then a Rabid Right nationalist government, which kept in power by a shameless gerrymander, tried to buy some tanks, but the fed government stopped them. This was all hushed up, but - one has contacts.

I was always writing letters to the editor and getting them published, having a go at that government. In the end they went too far for even some of their own members, a big enquiry was started, some MPs and the police commissioner got serious jail time, then a Labour party got in and removed the gerrrymander, among other things.

Anyway, my husband ended up working for a Labour MP and under freedom of info, sent for our secret police files from that era. Yes, they had a stasi back then! Anyway, as well as copies of my letters to the editor, there was an enquiry about whether they could deport us, but the answer came back NO, we were already citizens!!!

It all seems unbelievable now, and of course at the time we had no idea we were being recorded and judged.

Anyroad - I'd better pass on the tank!!

Now don't go going CHICKEN on me, you can lead the 'REVOLUTION' down under while I do the same here.
Joan
Queensland Australia
Joan is female  Joan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2011, 11:08 PM

Ah yes - a pinzer movement - from England and Australia: we gather our red armies, round up the Yanks (who are so heartily sick of the rampant god-bothers who ousted Obama and installed a born again Theocrisy in 2013 that they'll follow anyone), conquer the rest of the world, become joint presidents of the PROEs (Peoples' Repubic Of Earth), and retire to our miners' cottages in Batley, to live out our lives on fish n chips, black pudding and beer.

Great achievement with one old tank shared between the two of us: still, they built 'em tough in the good old USSR.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2011, 11:40 PM

Peoples Repubic of Earth?
Joan
Queensland Australia

14-07-2011, 01:19 AM

Oops, Freudian slip there!
Littleboo
Littleboo is female  Littleboo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2011, 01:29 AM

I remember the OMO and Persil it used to go all lumpy, and visits from Nitty Nora at school, just to name three for now.
Joan
Queensland Australia

14-07-2011, 02:07 AM

Oh yes - the nit nurse. I remember her, especially when I caught nits from a girl I was teaching to read. (Yes, they got the kids who were ahead to work with kids who were behind - I have no idea how they got away with it)
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

14-07-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Joan ->
Ah yes - a pinzer movement - from England and Australia: we gather our red armies, round up the Yanks (who are so heartily sick of the rampant god-bothers who ousted Obama and installed a born again Theocrisy in 2013 that they'll follow anyone), conquer the rest of the world, become joint presidents of the PROEs (Peoples' Repubic Of Earth), and retire to our miners' cottages in Batley, to live out our lives on fish n chips, black pudding and beer.

Great achievement with one old tank shared between the two of us: still, they built 'em tough in the good old USSR.
Of course they did Joan darlin' - the Russian car - the LADA was built around the same 'tank' engines they used in the T34. Was in Siberia in January 1983 - could leave a LADA out on the street in temperatures of -30 oC and it would still start first time!!!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2011, 06:37 PM

My Dad had a LADA, and he was driving it a t 93, we had to keep getting him side morrors as he kept taking them off on the gate posts, he could only see out of one eye and followed the white line into town, it was a nightmare driving with him Joe.

Page 51 of 79 « First < 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top