Join for free
Page 53 of 79 « First < 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2011, 01:42 PM

Re: What do you remember???

I remember sneaking round to the off sales hatch at the local pub with some mates when I was fifteen for a dare, and buying my first half of bitter for 9d. It tasted sour and so awful I couldn't understand how anyone could possibly enjoy it....
bumpthump
New Member!
Glasgow
bumpthump is male 

26-08-2011, 02:42 PM

That's funny. I was probably even worse for a young guy. I don't think I even heard the term til I was 19 or something like that.
I do remember my first job, and being a 17 year old in the office. On a Friday, I had to go to a big office where they had (what I think were called) comptometer operators. It was an office with 24 women and girls aged somewhere between 17 and 40 operating punch card machines. They sat in rows of four with a central passage with two girls either side. I absolutely dreaded the walk to the office at the front. I would get all sorts of comments and wolf whistles from the women and girls. My legs were quaking every time I got out of there.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2011, 02:45 PM

As an apprentice I did a lot of work at the Trebor sweet factory in Chesterfield. The women in there I found terrifying....
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by bumpthump ->
That's funny. I was probably even worse for a young guy. I don't think I even heard the term til I was 19 or something like that.
I do remember my first job, and being a 17 year old in the office. On a Friday, I had to go to a big office where they had (what I think were called) comptometer operators. It was an office with 24 women and girls aged somewhere between 17 and 40 operating punch card machines. They sat in rows of four with a central passage with two girls either side. I absolutely dreaded the walk to the office at the front. I would get all sorts of comments and wolf whistles from the women and girls. My legs were quaking every time I got out of there.
Funny story, bumpthump! Now you know why women don't like cat calls and wold whistles!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2011, 08:21 AM

The typing pool in the office where I worked was hot and stuffy so the young women that worked there tended to dress accordingly irrespective of the season. This was at a time when 'hot pants' with knee high boots were all the fashion. Found a number of excuses to 'amend' a letter I had drafted so as to visit the typing pool.
bumpthump
New Member!
Glasgow
bumpthump is male 

27-08-2011, 08:31 AM

I was simply never that bold. I was simply terrified by the whole experience. I did eventually go out with one of the girls for a year, but I was madly in love with the supervisor.....her name was Margaret Stobbie. I remember thinking how beautiful she was for someone so old. In truth, I bet she was probably something like 36 or 37!

Despite my infatuation with her, I never ever went in there unless I absolutely had to. At 17, I never had that kind of confidence. I think I treasure my lovestruck gormlessness more than I would any memory of going in there to eye the girls. The latter is much less charming!
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2011, 01:20 PM

These posts have reminded me of my first job in very large bakery as a junior shorthand/typist. As the junior it was my job to collect the tea-break cake orders morning and afternoon from the canteen. To get to there I had to go through the top floor bakery, one end to the other. Those massive blokes in their whites knew exactly what time I'd be passing through and were ready with their friendly bantering. Oh how I hated it. I ended up going out with one of the young lads, he who had the 750 Norton Atlas! We would speed along with no helmets, go grass-tracking, motorcycle clubs, all the wrong things. My Dad would have had a fit if he'd known.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

27-08-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
I ended up going out with one of the young lads, he who had the 750 Norton Atlas! We would speed along with no helmets, go grass-tracking, motorcycle clubs, all the wrong things. My Dad would have had a fit if he'd known.
Just for you Mary, a trip down memory lane...

Norton Atlas 750cc
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2011, 02:02 PM

Very nice, Barry and thank you.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2011, 04:18 PM

When I left school I went to work at Boots the Chemists in Lancaster,it was alovely shop, all polished wood and we had a library as well, happy days.

Page 53 of 79 « First < 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top