Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 02:50 PM

Re: Sloe Gin

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Here you go, Donkeyman. This is the recipe I use:

Slow Gin

* 1lb of washed sloes
* 4ozs of white granulated sugar. (or 1-2 oz per pint of Gin.)
* 1 x 75 cl bottle of medium quality Gin
* Sterilized i ltr Le Parfait jar
* 1 small teaspoon of almond essence.

Method

1. Wash the sloes well and discard any bruised or rotten fruit.
Prick each fruit several times with a fork, then place fruit in either a large kilner/ Le Parfait jar.
(I put several sloes in my palm to prick rather than picking them up one by one).

2. Using a funnel, aded terh sugar and top up with gin to the rim.

3. Add the almond essence.

4. Shake or agitate the jar every day until the sugar is all dissolved, and then store in a cool, dark place for at least three months.

4. After the three months, strain the 'grog' through a sieve lined with muslin and transfer the gin into sterilised bottles.
Then - if you can wait - leave to mature for six months.

I can't find the strawberry brandy recipe now, but here is a Strawberry liqueur made with Vodka if you fancied that? It's very simple:

1. Hull enough perfect strawberries to fill a preserving jar.

2. Prick each berry a few times with a cocktail stick or fork, and pop into the sterilised jar.

3. Add caster sugar to come about nearly a third of the way up the jar. (Or adjust to taste).

4. Top up with the vodka.

5. Seal well, and keep in a cool dark place for 3 - 6 months.

6. Strain through clean muslin and bottle. (Dark bottles if possible so as to minimise the lovely pinky/red colour fading.)
Thanks Mups. I actually prefer Vodka to Gin so that sounds very nice.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 04:03 PM

Made plenty of Slow Gin in my time. Really easy to do.

Sloes are usually best picked after first frost but these days people forage them away beforehand.

Freezing the berries first cracks open the skins so you don't have to faff around pricking them all with pins.

For a christmassy take on it, add in some Monin Cinnamon syrup which gives it a mulled flavour.

My drink of choice on hols is a Slow Gin and Tonic instead of the usual plain G&T.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That would be nice too Mups, again, so long as I don't need too much equipment. thanks.
If you can't find sloes in the shops, you can find them on Amazon....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=sloes+f...nb_sb_ss_i_4_5
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->

I had a quick look at that Mags, but couldn't quite make out whether they were dried or not?

Never tried dried, I prefer to pick them and use the fresh fruit as it was growing, but might be handy for some.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->

Thanks Mags. i didn't know that. If I'm really honest, I think that is the first time I have ever set eyes on them..... city boy

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top