Join for free
Page 3 of 30 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2020, 07:20 PM

Re: Are you stocking up just in case?

I might
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2020, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I might
Well there's nothing wrong with having a few week's worth of crumpet.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2020, 07:34 PM

I live in a hurricane zone. Usually, in may I start building a month supply of nonperishable foods in the house in May, then draw the supplies down in mid October. I just advanced the process, and the duration a bit. I completed the food prep this morning. I can go six weeks without having to start worrying.

My heating and cooking is done with propane gas. I can cook for six months before running out of fuel.

In hurricane season I also stock up on fuel for the generators, but if it gets bad enough where the utilities can't provide power because of the flu, then no amount of personal preparation will help.

Of course, last night the President indicated that he had this situation in hand, so prepping is not necessary. The lovely fellow is going to provide money for national prepping for the pandemic by taking it from heating assistance to poor families. Trump just asked himself WWJD and he came up with rob the poor.

Don't you just love the man?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2020, 07:40 PM

Savvy, you sound a great deal better prepared than we would be over here ... the hurricane season would terrify me and turn me into a gibbering idiot.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2020, 08:30 PM

Savvy, you sound a great deal better prepared than we would be over here ... the hurricane season would terrify me and turn me into a gibbering idiot.
It is not really that bad. I have lived in Florida all of my life and it is surprising what you can get used to.

With a hurricane you have days to decide whether to stick it out or drive away from it. I live inland, on high ground in a house that was built to withstand hurricane force winds. Of course, nature has a way of undoing the best of plans so if a serious storm approaches, I will simply let the house and the property take their licks while I take a hastily planned vacation to somewhere else.

The last Storm, 18 months ago, was somewhat special. The worst storm ever recorded in my area. The damn thing was an awesome display of destructive power. We stayed, but before it was over, I was questioning my judgement. It knocked down hundreds of mature trees on my place that I am still cleaning up....I came off light compared to people a few miles West of me.

Since that storm, I have added a hard room in the center of my house for added safety. I am confident that my house will stand up to a hurricane, but I know that tornadoes are also quite possible during a hurricane, and nothing stands up to them.

This Coronavirus is something that I am not familiar with, so it is more fearsome to me than a windstorm. I would feel a lot more confident about it if I felt my government was telling me the truth about the situation, so far I do not believe that that is the case. Trump is a known liar, and you can never trust a liar.

I will prepare to the best of my ability and ride this out, because, if the worst happened, which I don't expect, evacuation would be more dangerous than sheltering in place. I have grown old by learning to roll with the punches, knowing full well that one day the knockout blow will come from some unexpected direction.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2020, 12:52 AM

bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2020, 04:23 AM

it is amazing what humans can get used to. I, personally, have been through 4 hurricanes, one of them a monster category 5 (Camille); 1 tornado ; a large earthquake, a 7.2 ; one volcano , Mount St Helens ; and even a small tsunami which tossed me around, and heaven knows how many major winter storms where the temperature dropped to -40 F . So, I am somewhat used to getting prepared.

Of course, all these were in various locations.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2020, 08:00 AM

Tell me about it bakerman, Blighty had the summer of 76, but we survived.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

28-02-2020, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
it is amazing what humans can get used to. I, personally, have been through 4 hurricanes, one of them a monster category 5 (Camille); 1 tornado ; a large earthquake, a 7.2 ; one volcano , Mount St Helens ; and even a small tsunami which tossed me around, and heaven knows how many major winter storms where the temperature dropped to -40 F . So, I am somewhat used to getting prepared.

Of course, all these were in various locations.
we had two inches of snow last year bakerman.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2020, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It may be wise to get a few extra "Tins" in, a couple of dozen Buffer Stock should be sufficient, then instigate a Kanban System for a while.
As long as you dont buy Fosters Spitty!!
Donkeyman!

Page 3 of 30 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top