Join for free
Page 3 of 44 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2020, 03:50 PM

Re: Up The Garden Path

Thanks Mups and Percy, originally it was going to be cobbles laid on a one inch concrete base and a screed of sharp sand but, the wife has a pathological dislike of weeds so I purchased the slabs, the cobbles were about 60mm deep and the slabs only about 30mm, so, I had to lay another inch and a half concrete sub base to keep to level. Just past the step between the dwarf walls is a drainage grid beneath which is a buried soakaway chamber.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2020, 04:17 PM

Well done Spitty! Seeing what youve done has made my bones
ache!!

Donkeyman! 👍👍

PS. Photography aint bad either!!.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2020, 05:34 PM

Thanks DM, at Sixty, I'm just glad I am still up to doing it

This shows the position of the new Office on the right.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2020, 06:26 PM

It looks lovely Spitty and very well done... it looks private too which makes it very useable.....just needs some flowers now
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2020, 07:19 PM

spitfire

You done well. I only laid a few for the greenhouse to stand on but getting each level and with those next is not as easy as one may think.

Only 60 years old? just a youngster still, projects get harder as you get older so do them while you can
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2020, 07:33 PM

It looks good Spitty, well done!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2020, 09:42 AM

Looking good Spitty. Pity I don't live closer as I have a lawn lute which would prove mightily handy for preparing the soil for the new lawn. Used it to create a really flat surface over a period of 3 weeks (to give time to eliminate any initial weeds and hollows/bumps to be dealt with - I had double digged the entire surface as it very compacted!!).
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

11-05-2020, 10:23 AM

Hi Dex, the area on the left (by the motorcycle cover) is 12 metres long by two metres wide, It is surrounded by the path, and block paviors set in and concreted to the gravel boards to the fence, All set to level the existing soil being recessed to a depth of about 60mm. I intend to barrow in 3 tonnes of
topsoil into this area, establish the level against the hard standing and turf the 24 sq metres, to lay just proud of the hard standing.
The existing lawn on the other side of the path is a different matter, it is 5 metres wide by 17 metres long (85 sq metres) so I am going to bite the bullet and get a contractor to give that side the same treatment.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2020, 10:39 AM

Nice job Spitty
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

11-05-2020, 10:56 AM

Cheers Barry, when we moved in, in 96, there was one of those lean to's across the back of the house, probably constructed early 70's. It had the reinforced glass roof and timber framed window sections on top of dwarf brick walls, the wooden structure was well past it's sell by date but we lived with it for a few years, if you look just below the satellite dish, you can see where the brickwork is a different colour (where it was painted when internal) and the damage where the brickwork of the lean to was tied to the house. I haven't dealt with that yet because we were toying with the idea of making the conservatory wider, to form a large kitchen, which I will only do if were are considering staying here foer 5 or more years.

Page 3 of 44 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top