Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2011, 02:46 PM

Cant Sleep!!!

I have noticed that quite a few people say they are having sleepless nights or not enough sleep so I thought I would put a few pointers as to possibly why you can not sleep.

Loads of things stop you getting a full nights sleep but the main causes are

The bedroom is uncomfortable, Cold/hot/noisy

The Bed is uncomfortable, when did you last buy a new bed/Mattress?
( Are you sleeping better or worse than you did a year ago?
Are you waking up feeling stiff and sore?
Does your mattress have visible signs of wear and tear?)

Eating later in the day can cause sleeplessness

Going to be hungry can make you wake up earlier

Cigarettes/Alcohol.Caffeine late at night can make you restless

Lack of exercise

Worrying about some problem, money/health/jobs/ that need attention/Family etc.

Do they ring any bells?

These are the things that should be looked at first before getting a medical dianosis, they are the main causes for not sleeping.

Me, I could sleep on a log floating in the water most of the time.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2011, 04:59 PM

Re: Cant Sleep!!!

And two others that are often mentioned: artificial light, and watching TV.

I know basically what causes my sleeping problem: not enough exercise, a late night snack and a beer. But I'm not inclined to deal with the first nor cease the latter, so just live with it.

Have a memory foam mattress topper, wonderful thing!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2011, 05:46 PM

AB you have missed one the ageing bladder
Getting up to go to the loo then not being able to get back to sleep can be a problem for some myself included.

I find the worst thing is to lay there unable to sleep and getting frustrated about it, better to get up for a bit and find something to do then try to sleep again later
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2011, 05:51 PM

Yes that does work, I have done that myself.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2011, 07:21 PM

I think my problem is due to Tinnitus ..... everything is so quiet at night except for the continual buzzing/ringing in my ears which sounds so much louder at night. I usually switch the clock radio on when I'm in bed, hoping it will help drown out the noise but I can't say that helps much.

The strange this is, if I do manage to drop off to sleep about 05:00 I still wake up as normal at 07:30 - 08:00 next morning
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2011, 07:54 PM

Interesting thread Antibrown - after reading the posts on the "good morning" thread I am pleased you brought the subject of sleep up.

I long ago gave up thinking I was going to sleep through the night and now I don't have to go to work anymore I suppose it doesn't really matter (but it does to my OH). I think it is true that sleep patterns change as we age and I can now have a catnap during the daytime (which I never could do years ago).

Part of the problem for me is that I have quite vivid dreams. Also if there is anything bothering me it is guaranteed to keep me awake trying to think out a solution to a problem. This means that I stay awake worrying about things at the beginning of the night and then a dream comes along to wake me up in the early hours.

My OH says I am so bad that for him to get any sleep he has to move into another bed. Sometimes I get out of bed and follow him - then, when he thinks I am asleep, he gets out of that bed and goes back to the first bed. Because the first bed is more comfy and I am still awake THINKING, within a short time I follow him again. It sounds like a farce, but I am sorry to say it is true.
Any suggestions (excluding a divorce from my long suffering OH) will be gratefully received.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2011, 10:49 PM

Aerolor, Ithink that part of your problem is having a catnap doing this means that you do not need a ' Full nights sleep ' every night and as you wake up during the night your OH gets disturbed and starts the Catch 22 situation.

Try not having a catnap during the day, when you feel that you need to sleep during the day, get up and go out into the fresh air, even if it is raining and have a walk, this will use up some of your energy but it will also bring your sense of well being into focus and remove the need to sleep.
I think that this may help you sleep sounder during the night and also help your OH to sleep through the night.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2011, 11:12 PM

Im a part time insomniac too. Cant reverse my body clock anymore and too tired to be bothered about trying anymore. My tablets keep me awake and I like being awake at night.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2011, 11:22 PM

Has anyone tried a CD of ocean surf sound? I swear by this to GET me to sleep, I've never stayed awake till it finished playing. But the problem is that I wake about 2:30 A M to pee and then can't get back to sleep easily. Is it maybe that we just don't need a full 8 hours when we get pretty old? I've never tried restarting the CD again.....???
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2011, 06:41 PM

Thank you AB and I do try not to have a catnap in the daytime. Today I have been out three times - one this morning for an hour and then a couple of times for a shorter walk (now I have a dog again I am out a lot of the time come rain or shine). I will go out again for another half hour or so after 6.30pm for a road walk. I have also shampoo'd the carpet in the lounge, generally cleaned up, and been shopping. I am a bit cream crackered now, but I am not expecting tonight to be any different from most other nights. I do try not to pester Brian too much when I can't sleep, but often he wakes anyway.

I haven't tried ocean waves Eileen, but I often play music all night, as well as reading on and off. This is why Brian goes into another room to get some peace. I have never taken sleeping tablets or tried much else to help - I think I am resigned to it now because I have been like this for years.

Funnily enough I don't feel any the worse for not sleeping through the night. So do folks think it is important to get a regular 7-8 hours uninterrupted sleep each night ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top