Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2021, 05:44 AM

Re: Power Upgrade to my Teardrop Camper

Your homemade canopy looks good to me! Compact and the right price. I have a similar pop-up canopy to your blue one, but I really only like to use it in combination with netting to keep the mosquitos at bay over a picnic table or seating.

What does your daughter think about her swag? They are just now becoming popular over here.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2021, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Your homemade canopy looks good to me! Compact and the right price. I have a similar pop-up canopy to your blue one, but I really only like to use it in combination with netting to keep the mosquitos at bay over a picnic table or seating.

What does your daughter think about her swag? They are just now becoming popular over here.
She has been using the swag for a many years now, when she and her girlfriends go bush (4 wheel driving) they all have one. I believe the one she is currently using raises it slightly off the ground because she has had snakes trying to hide underneath (presumably for the warmth). She and her hubby have a double one as well but from what I have observed when they travel together they tend to use one of those 3 second tents rather than the swag.

I have four walls for my gazebo, two solid ones for shade and two mesh ones for mossies. They all zip together but I have rarely use more than the couple of solid walls and usually only one. I always roll hem up at night because they just act like a big sail if the wind gets up.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
No, I bought the shell ready made from a bloke in Sydney just starting out so it was relatively cheap. It did have the 60Ah battery and a 10watt solar panel with LED lighting in the kitchen and cabin plus one 12 volt outlet in the cabin. I added 240v mains power, a 40watt solar panel, TV aerial etc.

I am pretty happy with it the way it is now, it is easy to tow, less than 750kg, in fact my car seems to hardly notice it. It works great whether you are in a caravan park or free camping in the bush. What I like is that is is immediately usable - there is no setup needed.

It was very bare when I bought it

The battery is in the storage area underneath the counter in the kitchen.

There are a few things I don't like:

Towing anything restricts where you can park purely because of the length (with the car it is about 10m)

The short wheel base like a 8 by 5 trailer can make it a bugger to reverse. Longer vehicles are much easier to reverse but you do get the knack.

In the rain if you try to leave the outer door open the bedding can get wet but there was a ventilation issue with the doors shut - fortunately that has been overcome. Actually I think in the five years I have been using it it has actually rained on less than 10 occasions but I have slowly overcome all these issues.
Wow! You’ve done an awesome job getting it kitted out to suit your needs. Very nice! Did you consider installing a winch on the front of your vehicle to push the Camper around?

Also, does your canvas covers keep out the inclement weather? You’ve done an awesome job! Where do you store your spare tyre?

We have something similar in SA. It’s called a Vagabond made from Fibreglass though- here’s a link

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 09:24 AM

The camper has the same wheels as my car so I can use the spare tyre off the car. Ridiculous really - the wheels are six stud for a 2 tonne car but it means I don't have to carry a spare and the camper has wheels suitable for the car if things go really bad.

There is provision on the bullbar for a winch and I know some people who put a tow ball on the front usually for their boat but even though I complain about reversing it actually isn't really that hard.

The price for these teardrops has gone up dramatically to the point I am not sure if they are worth it. The place I bought mine from now has a minimum price of about $14000. I think I if anything happened to mine I would buy a van and put a bed in it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top