Join for free
Page 5 of 46 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 11:26 AM

Re: Sarah Everard

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
We have all been chatting away about this case... but what happens if the human remains that have been found are not Sarah’s and he is innocent of murder?
That's always the mental struggle I have about capital punishment Arty.... I'd rather see ten criminals rotting away in prison than one innocent person wrongly executed...

We tend to get swept along with the media frenzy and the anger it cultivates rather than consider the facts Arty...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 11:32 AM

It's just a sad fact.

Women SHOULD be able to walk along at any time day or night, wearing whatever they want without being attacked or murdered but then I should be able to walk through South London at midnight wearing a Rolex watch without getting mugged.

I often wonder how other Countries compare to us.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It's just a sad fact.

Women SHOULD be able to walk along at any time day or night, wearing whatever they want without being attacked or murdered but then I should be able to walk through South London at midnight wearing a Rolex watch without getting mugged.

I often wonder how other Countries compare to us.
Well not really Longdogs, the world, and particularly other members of society are not as friendly as we seem to believe they are. 99.9% of the male population would have sprung to her aid, or expressed a cheery goodnight. But there is always one......And it's this one we must protect ourselves against. Temptation can not be legislated against...

There are many areas in the world that you and me would not go Longy, and there are places in the UK also. We all complain about our brave Search and rescue services having to risk their lives to recover some ill equipped, experience lacking tourists from the mountains, and yet we think it would be perfectly safe for a woman on her own, dressed for clubbing (Although I'm not suggesting that Sarah was inappropriately dressed) to walk through an unpoliced and unlit park....Come on.....I certainly wouldn't sell her personal insurance...
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Yes it's strange how events in the UK and the world, where millions of people are dying daily, have been pushed aside to make room for this unfortunate incident. I have the greatest of sympathy for the girl and her family, but it does seem like it's attracting more than it's fair share of media activity.

Has it been deliberately exaggerated to produce bad feeling toward the police, as in the case of George Floyd.
Stand by for the racist connection....
It's totally nuts. Particularly saying that men should be curfewed. Given that a policeman is being accused how will a stupid curfew be imposed? Will they be getting rid of all the male policemen? World is losing the plot.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Well not really Longdogs, the world, and particularly other members of society are not as friendly as we seem to believe they are. 99.9% of the male population would have sprung to her aid, or expressed a cheery goodnight. But there is always one......And it's this one we must protect ourselves against. Temptation can not be legislated against...

There are many areas in the world that you and me would not go Longy, and there are places in the UK also. We all complain about our brave Search and rescue services having to risk their lives to recover some ill equipped, experience lacking tourists from the mountains, and yet we think it would be perfectly safe for a woman on her own, dressed for clubbing (Although I'm not suggesting that Sarah was inappropriately dressed) to walk through an unpoliced and unlit park....Come on.....I certainly wouldn't sell her personal insurance...
At the moment I would say that in some areas things are different. Both men and women are in danger walking around at night or even in the day because we are in lockdown. Some people have gone a bit loopy with all the indoors thinking time and in some cases this will have led to violent or deranged fantasies. Many people have been unhappy and become hostile towards each other with the prolonged restrictions.

Hopefully once lockdown is gradually lifted people will go back to normal levels of derangement.
Suedonim
UK
Suedonim is female 

12-03-2021, 12:05 PM

You don’t get it, do you? Women live with this fear all the time when they are out. All the time. How often do men walk with along with their hearts thumping with fright because there are footsteps closing in on you from behind? How many men walk with their keys clasped in their hands, to be ready for an attack?

How often have men been kerb-crawled, cat-called, wolf-whistled? Have the men here ever been cornered by a senior colleague making sexual comments? Anyone ever dry-humped you on the Tube?

Women have to think about this all the time! We can’t tell which men are the goodies and which are the baddies. It’s not just about dark parks or what we wear, it’s about our entire public lives.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

12-03-2021, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Suedonim ->
You don’t get it, do you? Women live with this fear all the time when they are out. All the time. How often do men walk with along with their hearts thumping with fright because there are footsteps closing in on you from behind? How many men walk with their keys clasped in their hands, to be ready for an attack?

How often have men been kerb-crawled, cat-called, wolf-whistled? Have the men here ever been cornered by a senior colleague making sexual comments? Anyone ever dry-humped you on the Tube?

Women have to think about this all the time! We can’t tell which men are the goodies and which are the baddies. It’s not just about dark parks or what we wear, it’s about our entire public lives.
I would say that when it comes to violence men live far more in fear of other men. Particularly young men or those in their teens. It's usually young men or boys getting stabbed. I would hazard a guess that the majority of rape & sexual abuse happens inside and is by a partner or person known to a woman. The sort of areas women feel unsafe walking are also areas that men feel just as unsafe.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 12:55 PM

Exactly, Annie. As I said earlier, about three times as many men get murdered than women do. Fear and risk knows no gender. You wouldn't catch me walking through the local park at night as a short cut. I minimise my risks as much as I can, as should everyone. If in doubt, late at night, use a trustworthy taxi service. Just because I'm a man doesn't mean I think I'm invincible, nor does it mean I'm foolish.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
We have all been chatting away about this case... but what happens if the human remains that have been found are not Sarah’s and he is innocent of murder?
The family are mourning her they will have been told .
There was a undoubtably a reason the police searched that area and found a body I feel sure it wasn’t a coincidence.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 02:08 PM

Has anybody else heard that the suspect (ie the policeman) had indecently exposed himself a few days before Sarah's disappearance?

Page 5 of 46 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top