Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 09:40 AM

Re: Thoughts about Doctors....

It seems true that our Doctors have ring fenced themselves to avoid catching anything at all.

The service, here, has been awful.

I'm old, now, and I cannot remember any time, before this, where Doctors put themselves first, like this.

They are, effectively, their own bosses, a bit like Company Directors.

There's the root cause!

I dread to think how those unable to go on line might be managing.

Here, you ring in, receive an email telling you a Dr will call back on such and such a day.

What time? Who knows, don't dare to go out shopping as a missed call will get you in deep trouble.

Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
e-consult is an online 'service', whereby you log in and describe all your symptoms. At some point in the future, someone will read your submission and make a decision about how to respond. If you're lucky you'll get a doctor ringing you back the same day, but it could be the next day... I don't believe I've come across anyone who has managed to get an actual face to face appointment this way.
That is so disheartening

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
It seems true that our Doctors have ring fenced themselves to avoid catching anything at all.

The service, here, has been awful.

I'm old, now, and I cannot remember any time, before this, where Doctors put themselves first, like this.

They are, effectively, their own bosses, a bit like Company Directors.

There's the root cause!

I dread to think how those unable to go on line might be managing.

Here, you ring in, receive an email telling you a Dr will call back on such and such a day.

What time? Who knows, don't dare to go out shopping as a missed call will get you in deep trouble.

I thought that too, Ted - what if a patient doesn't have access to a computer/can't afford internet/doesn't know how to navigate on online system. How on earth do they cope?
Also your second point - missing a call. Does that go on your record as a missed appointment. In my surgery you get two chances and then you are chucked off their books to go find yourself another GP practice.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 10:19 AM

Doctors have never really been any good at all in my opinion Pixie.... If it can't be treated with medication they're lost. GP's are the worst, but some consultants are just as bad. They have this little book that they work from, and one size fits all, if you are of a certain age then you conform to the average John or Jean in that age group regardless.....

I went to see an alternative doctor once when I had a spot of bother and the first thing she did was make a note of everything I eat. She then studied my lifestyle and my physical appearance. It was only after much deliberating did she make a diagnosis.....And she was right...

I must admit though that the treatment I received following my two heart attacks was exemplary apart from the post surgery medication which was from the little book, and highly inappropriate, but that's for another day...
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Doctors have never really been any good at all in my opinion Pixie.... If it can't be treated with medication they're lost. GP's are the worst, but some consultants are just as bad. They have this little book that they work from, and one size fits all, if you are of a certain age then you conform to the average John or Jean in that age group regardless.....

I went to see an alternative doctor once when I had a spot of bother and the first thing she did was make a note of everything I eat. She then studied my lifestyle and my physical appearance. It was only after much deliberating did she make a diagnosis.....And she was right...

I must admit though that the treatment I received following my two heart attacks was exemplary apart from the post surgery medication which was from the little book, and highly inappropriate, but that's for another day...
I am so pleased that your alternative doctor took the time to find out your lifestyle and habits so she could make a proper diagnosis, Foxy! ALL doctors should do this - instead of, as you say...using The Book Of Standards.

I was misdiagnosed - not that I officially complained at the time (I should have), but how can you actually mistake cancer as a swollen gland - especially when the biopsy says the word Carcinoma. She asked what I wanted to do, and did I want a second opinion! I said I wanted a different doctor thanks! She isn't at that practice anymore thankfully.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Oh really?? I didn't know that. Well I hope their bedside manner is better than their phone manners! I'm sure some of them think they are actually doctors, the amount of questions they ask you!
I think most of them are pretty ragged about having to do it, they have more than enough to do as it is.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 10:33 AM

I am so pleased that your alternative doctor took the time to find out your lifestyle and habits so she could make a proper diagnosis, Foxy! ALL doctors should do this - instead of, as you say...using The Book Of Standards.

I was misdiagnosed - not that I officially complained at the time (I should have), but how can you actually mistake cancer as a swollen gland - especially when the biopsy says the word Carcinoma. She asked what I wanted to do, and did I want a second opinion! I said I wanted a different doctor thanks! She isn't at that practice anymore thankfully.
Sorry to hear that Pixie... Hope you are alright now, you are certainly a ray of sunshine on this forum....
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

19-04-2021, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Sorry to hear that Pixie... Hope you are alright now, you are certainly a ray of sunshine on this forum....
Aww thank you Foxy! Yes, all is well now, thanks for asking. On meds for life, but if that is the worst life can throw at me for now, I'm very lucky!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 11:21 AM

Oh really?? I didn't know that. Well I hope their bedside manner is better than their phone manners! I'm sure some of them think they are actually doctors, the amount of questions they ask you!

Totally agree with that, Pixie.
My practice has had no end of complaints about the receptionists attitude.

In fact I had to ask one old witch not to shout at me recently! I told her her attitude was bullying.
If looks could kill, I'd have dropped dead on the spot.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 01:41 PM

Last December, just before Christmas, I had a strange mole-looking thing appear on my ribs. It itched like mad, so was eventually frozen off by dermatology.

I just had a letter come today about a follow-up appt. to see if the treatment worked.

Silly me imagined it would be a quick visit back to dermatology, but I was wrong. It will be a phone call only, and they have informed me it will be next September!!! So my follow-up will not be for 10 months after treatment.
Bloomin' good job the freezing did the trick ey.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

19-04-2021, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Last December, just before Christmas, I had a strange mole-looking thing appear on my ribs. It itched like mad, so was eventually frozen off by dermatology.

I just had a letter come today about a follow-up appt. to see if the treatment worked.

Silly me imagined it would be a quick visit back to dermatology, but I was wrong. It will be a phone call only, and they have informed me it will be next September!!! So my follow-up will not be for 10 months after treatment.
Bloomin' good job the freezing did the trick ey.
A phone call...in 10 months. That's horrendous, Mups. Surely they could have written to you to say yes it worked, rather than have you sitting for all that time just wondering! Jeez....I suppose though, if it was anything to be concerned about they would have dealt with it a bit more urgently!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top