Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 08:34 AM

Self Importance.

I hear it a lot, that some people are full of their own self importance......

What does it mean to you?

I’m sure a few view it quite differently.

Maybe some come across as being absorbed in themselves, to a few people, I just don’t see it, so thought I’d start a thread on the subject.

Is self absorbed the same as a narcissist?....I’m lost....which incidentally doesn’t take much.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 08:44 AM

Re: Self Importance.

Self importance, having an exaggerated sense of one's own value or importance.
Pauline some people are 'self important ' some have no sense of their own worth , we are all different.

I wish I had experienced a greater sense of self importance in my life instead of spending most of it thinking I was worthless. I am sure life would then have been a more fulfilling and less painful experience .
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I hear it a lot, that some people are full of their own self importance......

What does it mean to you?

I’m sure a few view it quite differently.

Maybe some come across as being absorbed in themselves, to a few people, I just don’t see it, so thought I’d start a thread on the subject.

Is self absorbed the same as a narcissist?....I’m lost....which incidentally doesn’t take much.
Its not quite the same, in my opinion. A narcissist does think they are the centre of their world, and makes sure its to the detriment of everyone else. They have no empathy or compassion about another's plight, and indeed will turn it against the individual to make themselves superior.

Being self absorbed, to me anyway....is...umm...simply everything being about you. Whether its in conversation, or events...in can be unrelated to whatever is going on at the time, a self cantered person will just put in their tuppence worth regardless. There is no intention to hurt or manipulate like there is with a narcissist, because nobody else really figures for that moment, in the SA persons world.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 08:51 AM

Self importance and feelings of worthlessness are just the two extremes, we have to care for ourselves yes, but not always at the expense of others.

What's that old saying, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 09:02 AM

Like Meg , I wish I had experienced a greater sense of self importance when a young woman instead of feeling I was worth less . My life would have been very different.

I know of and have known a few narcissistic people they were in my life but I keep away from them now . One is a family member and I do wonder if her upbringing has encouraged her narcissistic ways , extremely spoilt and indulged and encouraged to be self important has turned her into a disliksble person .

But as I have grown I am aware that I am as good as the next person yet dont feel self important yet I am self aware that I too matter.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 09:08 AM

You need a sense of self importance & confidence ,however like most things it can be over developed thats when it’s best to avoid those who suffer from the me me me syndrome.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ripple ->
You need a sense of self importance & confidence ,however like most things it can be over developed thats when it’s best to avoid those who suffer from the me me me syndrome.

Too right! They are not good company because they can sap your own energy.
Avoidance saves arguments too.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 09:27 AM

Meg and Susan, insightful posts, which I can well relate to,...from my own perspective you have both been through a lot in life, but it’s like you have both come to an understanding of it.

That aside, I find you both two well balanced people, from what I read of your posts....
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

21-04-2021, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Self importance and feelings of worthlessness are just the two extremes, we have to care for ourselves yes, but not always at the expense of others.

What's that old saying, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
Indeed Barry, I would rather experience the worthlessness as growing up, imo, no pain “ no gain” just my thoughts.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

21-04-2021, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Its not quite the same, in my opinion. A narcissist does think they are the centre of their world, and makes sure its to the detriment of everyone else. They have no empathy or compassion about another's plight, and indeed will turn it against the individual to make themselves superior.

Being self absorbed, to me anyway....is...umm...simply everything being about you. Whether its in conversation, or events...in can be unrelated to whatever is going on at the time, a self cantered person will just put in their tuppence worth regardless. There is no intention to hurt or manipulate like there is with a narcissist, because nobody else really figures for that moment, in the SA persons world.

Thanks for explaining Pixie...appreciate your input.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top