Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 02:29 PM

Re: Flattery will get you nowhere

Sometimes people are just looking for a little encouragement and validation.

They will get it from me.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by RJG ->
I don't feel like that about forums, to me they are a displacement activity when I have a few moments to spare. Unless you have actually met people in real life you can't know what they are really like at all. In the past I have met in person some members of forums on which I used to post, with one exception they were nothing like the way they portrayed themselves on the Internet.
It sounds as though you feel let down a bit by the people you thought you knew. That's such a shame. I do see this as a real thing, with real people & lives. But this is my first and only forum, so I don't know any other way to be, and frankly I can't be bothered trying to be anything else, because I like who I am, so why try to fake it.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
It sounds as though you feel let down a bit by the people you thought you knew. That's such a shame. I do see this as a real thing, with real people & lives. But this is my first and only forum, so I don't know any other way to be, and frankly I can't be bothered trying to be anything else, because I like who I am, so why try to fake it.
Well said, Pixie.

As to me, I have lots of free time being retired & also in lock down, for, it seems like forever, so I expect lots of people have noticed I am nearly always here.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 03:30 PM

I think if someone asked my opinion if I didnt like what they were wearing I would say personally it isn't my style so wouldn't choose to wear it but if you like it thats all that matters. Everyone sees things through different eyes what looks good to one may not yo another. I.m comfortable enough in my own style to not need others opinions I can be a bit quirky at times and look a bit different so my style certain doesn't suit all.

Style is great, be comfortable in what makes us happy , doesn't really matter what others think. Its taken me a long time to get to this point akways worried what others think but not anymore. If I like it I will wear it
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by RJG ->
If I ask for someone's opinion I expect them to tell me the truth even if I am not going to like what they have to say. If a person asks for my opinion about what they are wearing, for instance, I will always be truthful, even if it isn't what they wish to hear.

Thank goodness I can always rely on my husband and children telling me the truth about me, whether or not I ask for their opinion.

Are other posters truthful when asked for their opinion ?

Well, I did just that, I gave my own honest opinion to a YouTuber , about her artificial garden, it looked like she had taken her sitting room and put it outside, which I told her so, it didn’t look like a garden, ..but, she is a young generation I’m the older generation, I suppose I’m an old fashioned gardener...anyway we didn’t fall out over it, at the end of the day ,if you post a video of a garden etc, you must allow people to voice their honest opinions over it,....I posted my garden on FB, some liked it some didn’t....I quite like getting different ideas on how to change it.....I also get inspired by a lot of gardens on FB, especially small ones like mine.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 07:12 PM

Somebody said to me only today. " Can you tell I've put a lot of weight on since lockdown"

I could actually but I said. "Yes - just a bit"

I like to be tactful but not lie.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
LOL! Haven't we heard that one before, Mups, many times!

Yep.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Somebody said to me only today. " Can you tell I've put a lot of weight on since lockdown"

I could actually but I said. "Yes - just a bit"

I like to be tactful but not lie.
I agree with Carol, tell the truth but in a tactful manner
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 07:30 PM

I believe thinking someone has put a lot of weight on is just as bad as speaking it out.....I thought that about a friend a few days back, as she came through the door ,I was thinking omg, you have put a ton load of weight on, but would never speak it out to her, because it would have made her feel terrible, she was telling me how depressed she was over her weight....well, I could hardly tell her my thoughts could I.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 07:39 PM

If a wife asks her husband how she looks, my advice for him is to lie through his teeth. As in, "You look fantastic, darling"

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top