Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 01:44 PM

Re: I like pasta ...

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
We can't have the regular wheat pasta as Mr P is intolerant...and I also find it lies heavy on the tummy as well. The other kind is lighter on the digestion
Have you tried red lentil pasta? Available from Sainsbury and Tesco, probably elsewhere as well, but I haven't checked. Not cheap, around £1.25 for 250, but it is really nice
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Have you tried red lentil pasta? Available from Sainsbury and Tesco, probably elsewhere as well, but I haven't checked. Not cheap, around £1.25 for 250, but it is really nice
No Bathsheba, I haven't - just the green one. I'll keep an eye out - and yes its not cheap really. Even the Edamame is pricey. I wouldn't mind having a go at making my own, but I know I would do it a couple of times and put the machine away in the cupboard!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 02:44 PM

I can't think of anything more revolting than lentil pasta. I hate lentils of any colour.

If you want to try making your own pasta sauces try looking up Gino D'Acampo recipes on-line. Some of them are very easy to make and are very tasty.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I like pasta, the thinner the better, also one that absorbs the sauce and clings together nicely as you twirl it around your folk.

My favourite: Capellini Barilla No.1

But making a sauce can be tricky, hit 'n miss, time consuming. Buying ready made sauce, or even tomatoes in a tin or jar tastes horridly processed.

So I had an idea we've got one of those bullet smoothie makers lying around at home. Perhaps I could liquify some stuff: celery, onion, red pepper, and so on, whatever, let it simmer for 10 minutes, add olive oil, boil 3-minute Capellini for 2 minutes, drain, add to bubbling sauce for a further 2 minutes, let it stand for a further two minutes (sucking up sauce), serve with grated parmesan (or other strong cheese).

Anyone tried anything like this
? any ingredients, tips?

Not yet - but I will - sounds delicious!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
No Bathsheba, I haven't - just the green one. I'll keep an eye out - and yes its not cheap really. Even the Edamame is pricey. I wouldn't mind having a go at making my own, but I know I would do it a couple of times and put the machine away in the cupboard!
You don't need a machine, Pixie,

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...esh-egg-pasta/
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
You don't need a machine, Pixie,

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...esh-egg-pasta/
Thanks Tabby! It never occurred to me NOT to use a machine. So I'm thinking if I make the dough, roll it out, then cut it into very thin strips, like tagliatelle, that would work! Interesting, I'm going to try this at the weekend
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2021, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
The secret to good tomato sauce is to use on the vine tomatoes , drizzle with olive oil then slowly roast the tomato in the oven, liquidise /sieve and add this to the base sauce of sweated onion and garlic.
It is not easy to make the sauce in the winter because good fresh tomatoes are not available . I make a batch and freeze small pots of it.
Meg I do like this idea but do you retain the skins? I make a similar passata type sauce with half a chopped onion, tomatoes and a large chunk of butter boiled in water. But I do remove the skins as I think they give bitterness. The final step after skin removal is to liquidise. Also fab for a fresh tomato soup.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2021, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->

So I had an idea we've got one of those bullet smoothie makers lying around at home. Perhaps I could liquify some stuff: celery, onion, red pepper, and so on, whatever, let it simmer for 10 minutes, add olive oil, boil 3-minute Capellini for 2 minutes, drain, add to bubbling sauce for a further 2 minutes, let it stand for a further two minutes (sucking up sauce), serve with grated parmesan (or other strong cheese).

Anyone tried anything like this? any ingredients, tips?

I've not tried this Dood but you are giving me ideas (and making me hungry!) You can add to the parmesan to the sauce as an ingredient when boiling. Bit like for pesto.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

23-04-2021, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I've not tried this Dood but you are giving me ideas (and making me hungry!) You can add to the parmesan to the sauce as an ingredient when boiling. Bit like for pesto.
I am not a fan of parmesan at all....the smell is a real appetite killer for me Pesto, on the other hand, I could eat out of the jar with a spoon! Pesto & potatoes is delicious.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2021, 07:46 AM

Yes my idea is more about technique than ingredients. I've always started sauces, stews, just about everything, by first sweating onion. I'm now thinking more hot pesto sauce for pasta. I could wizz tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil ... then let it simmer adding olive oil last. Nearly cooked pasta goes into the sauce to cook for another minute or two.

And I think I'll add cheese to taste afterwards.

Hmmm or shall I make the sauce in the trad way then liquidise?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top