Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 07:11 AM

Re: Spiders and Flies

Not keen on flies - they frequent dirty places and vomit on your food.

Spiders, on the other hand, are harmless, useful and fascinating! A few UK varieties can/do bite but I don't believe any are lethal or need an antivenom. I was once bitten by a Wolf Spider - I had, inadvertently, disturbed her nursery web - which she, rightly, defended. It hurt a bit and made me feel sick for a while but that was all.

Those that come into the house are left alone - they earn their shelter by keeping the fly/bug population under control - and I know they will go out again when the weather is warmer.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 07:50 AM

I so hate spiders I wont open my bedroom windows when it's cold outside because they will try to sneak in . ( my friend sue reminds me they dont just come through the windows !)
Coming home one night from work I climbed the stairs to find a gigantic spider with eyes as big as dinner plates waiting on top of the landing to scare the !xxt out of me . I'm not telling you how I won .

Any I find are given 1 warning I try to get them with my spider catcher if they run and put up a fight it's a fight to the death. If I lose it I cant relax and sit rigid till I get it .

If I saw!one in my bedroom I'd have to sleep in the spare room or on the sofa till I found it

Teeny baby cutie money spiders turn into hairy gigantic giants

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I so hate spiders I wont open my bedroom windows when it's cold outside because they will try to sneak in . ( my friend sue reminds me they dont just come through the windows !)
Coming home one night from work I climbed the stairs to find a gigantic spider with eyes as big as dinner plates waiting on top of the landing to scare the !xxt out of me . I'm not telling you how I won .

Any I find are given 1 warning I try to get them with my spider catcher if they run and put up a fight it's a fight to the death. If I lose it I cant relax and sit rigid till I get it .

If I saw!one in my bedroom I'd have to sleep in the spare room or on the sofa till I found it

Teeny baby cutie money spiders turn into hairy gigantic giants

Good job you never emigrated to Australia. With spiders as big as that Huntsman, though I think seeing that in my house would probably freak me out too. I can cope, just about, with any in house spiders, but if it's a real big one I yell for my Son to deal with it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 01:48 PM

Flies are like illegal immigrants, no matter how many times you shoosh them out, they still get back in.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by longdogs ->
flies are like illegal immigrants, no matter how many times you shoosh them out, they still get back in.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
When I was in the UK I used to smile wryly when people reacted to spiders there. I remember one Scottish woman who was staying in the same house as me in Brentford. We rushed in when we heard her scream at what she referred to as a "huge" spider.
I'm afraid our climate prevents us from having the wide range of exotic creatures that you enjoy there down under, keezoy. We just have to make do with being frightened by what we've got.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Those that come into the house are left alone - they earn their shelter by keeping the fly/bug population under control - and I know they will go out again when the weather is warmer.
I'm glad to hear that you are able to live in harmony with your spiders, Tabby.
Jaded
South yorkshire
Jaded is male  Jaded has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 07:40 PM

I don’t mind spiders particularly tarantulas
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Not keen on flies - they frequent dirty places and vomit on your food.

Spiders, on the other hand, are harmless, useful and fascinating!
A few UK varieties can/do bite but I don't believe any are lethal or need an antivenom. I was once bitten by a Wolf Spider - I had, inadvertently, disturbed her nursery web - which she, rightly, defended. It hurt a bit and made me feel sick for a while but that was all.

Yep spiders are good housekeepers.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Flies are like illegal immigrants, no matter how many times you shoosh them out, they still get back in.
Must be a UK problem Bush Flies hate being inside so you rarely get flies indoors.

I get about one blowie a year indoors but they are easily dispatched, though thinking about it when I lived in inner Sydney I do remember flies indoors and had one of those sticky strips in the kitchen

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top