Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 07:34 PM

Re: Buying a Mobile Phone

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Thanks Barry ... blimey .....

Was there an up-front cost?
No, only £6 monthly charge.

Ah! you bought the phone outright, then got a Speedy sim?

Yep.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hello Dood I have PAYG £6 a month with Giffgaff who came out top in WHICH review
That buys me unlimited calls and texts and 500 MB data which I don't use with my basic mobile phone.

https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-de...caApUGEALw_wcB
Hmmm ... need to think about this ... payg but for a fixed package? It seems all packages include unlimited UK calls and texts so I should think about getting loads of data to browse OFF while waiting for a bus.

?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
No, only £6 monthly charge.

Yep.
The A12 is £130 odd isn't it?

Hmmm way to go, me thinks.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 07:49 PM

Hmmm ... need to think about this ... payg but for a fixed package? It seems all packages include unlimited UK calls and texts so I should think about getting loads of data to browse OFF while waiting for a bus.

?
Dood you can change the package if it is not suitable there is no contract it is monthly.

They also sell reconditioned sim free phones.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hello Dood I have PAYG £6 a month with Giffgaff who came out top in WHICH review
That buys me unlimited calls and texts and 500 MB data which I don't use with my basic mobile phone.

https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-de...caApUGEALw_wcB

I can even beat that Meg.
My friend suggested get Sim only, no contract needed, so I am with ID sim at £5 per month, and have been for the last couple of years.

And the young lass in the shop transferred everything over from my old phone for me too, so I was well pleased.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 09:35 PM

BT has announced that it’s going ahead with plans that would see its existing public switched telephone network (PSTN) shut down in favour of having all phone calls be made using VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol)

What mobile to get for just using as a phone and text?

Not sure this is a good idea, getting a signal on mobile at home is not reliable.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 11:23 PM

Why not just buy the phone so it is not locked to a provider then you can pick and choose the best scheme?

There is a company here that unlocks phones on plans and sells them to you with branding still on the phone but it can be used with any network. Undoubtedly you have someone similar.

By being able to shop around you can pick the best for you The company I am with offers 1Gb data, unlimited texts and calls for $10 a month (5 pounds a month) and no plan.

Personally I think buying the phone outright is the way to go.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Why not just buy the phone so it is not locked to a provider then you can pick and choose the best scheme?

There is a company here that unlocks phones on plans and sells them to you with branding still on the phone but it can be used with any network. Undoubtedly you have someone similar.

By being able to shop around you can pick the best for you The company I am with offers 1Gb data, unlimited texts and calls for $10 a month (5 pounds a month) and no plan.

Personally I think buying the phone outright is the way to go.
That restriction is changing in December 2021. Mobile phone companies will not be allowed to sell mobiles locked to their service. I feel they are now doing something else which is to put all SIM only deals on a contract, that's what's happened to me with EE. I had a SIM only deal of free calls and unlimited texts with a small amount of data as I don't use that anyway. That cost £12 a month with no contract but then that changed and there were no SIM deals without at least a 12-month contract. I had the 'choice' of either taking that contract or leaving! I am just waiting for the time when we can legally get them to sign a contract, in the way we have to with them, that would be interesting!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54692179
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

05-05-2021, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
BT has announced that it’s going ahead with plans that would see its existing public switched telephone network (PSTN) shut down in favour of having all phone calls be made using VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol)

What mobile to get for just using as a phone and text?

Not sure this is a good idea, getting a signal on mobile at home is not reliable.

Skype, Zoom etc.

I do skype from home computer to friends and family, I see more & more people out on the street talking into their phones, the way to go. So what's required is "data". Plus, boy in EE shop said I could use 1GB in a few minutes when on YouTube. How can I get loads of data cheap? Unlimited calls & text sounds good but who really needs it?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

05-05-2021, 07:15 AM

Thanks Bruce, Baz et al.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top