Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 12:17 PM

Re: Buying a Mobile Phone

I buy my phones (unlocked) outright and then use a GiffGaff SIM only deal for £10 per month. Unlimited calls and texts, plus 6gb data
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I buy my phones (unlocked) outright and then use a GiffGaff SIM only deal for £10 per month. Unlimited calls and texts, plus 6gb data

Cheers.

How much net time is 6gb/month .... very roughly?

And how do you get a GiffGaff sim? And recharge it every month?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Hi

Same as me Judd.

I have just got a Doogee, 128 Gb and dual Sims for £126 and Voxi, with unlimited Social Media and calls and Texts for £10 a month.

My last Doogee lasted 4 years.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Thanks LD.

No I'm not concerned about the camera, just might be fun to see what it can do. I'm secretly hoping it's crap.

I've been offered unlimited minutes (calls?) and texts. Pretty extreme for someone that doesn't do that.

I'm just thinking .... we are moving home shortly (hopefully), will be using the car more (satnav might come in handy), there are all these apps required nowadays: from booking a GP to paying for parking .....

When you say you use your own wifi at home, do you have to remember to connect? And how much is 1GB? And can I sign up to 1GB, find it's not sufficient and change to (next level) 4GB?
It connects with my wifi automatically, I'm sure all phones can do that. When I go shopping, it connects to the supermarkets wifi, which means I can use Smart Scan.

1 GB is enough if you don't plan to watch films or videos when you are not in range of your own wifi. You can set your phone to remind you if you are getting close to your limit and even then, you can ring the supplier and add a top up for that month. The only time I have had to do this is when my Home internet was down, so I was using Samsung internet via Tesco mobile.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 03:07 PM

Cheers.

All the info here dOOd
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 11:27 PM

Cheers.

No. You pay by direct debit. Go to the Giffgaff website (link supplied by Barry above) and order one of their goody bags. There's a few different ones available.

I spend around three hours a day surfing using my phone and there's still plenty of data left at the end of the month.

Between 10th April and today, I've used 4gb. My goody bag starts again on 10th of May.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2021, 07:13 AM

Thanks all for your help.

GiffGaff looks good, will try that.

I just need to decide which phone. I mentioned the Galaxy A12 (it's £150 not £130), but I understand the handsfree speaker is not good.

So I'm looking for one of these:

https://www.stratanetworks.com/devices/hac-rating
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

15-05-2021, 09:58 AM

UPDATE

so I bought the Galaxy A12, great fun, very pleased @ £150 + giffgaff

I just wish they'd make the Samsung Galaxy the size & weight they made them five years ago. They are too big & heavy now. Slippery too.

I've bought one of these £6.99 from amazon.

The phone is easier to pick up, hold, use, better all round. Just a bit bulkier.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It connects with my wifi automatically, I'm sure all phones can do that. When I go shopping, it connects to the supermarkets wifi, which means I can use Smart Scan.

1 GB is enough if you don't plan to watch films or videos when you are not in range of your own wifi. You can set your phone to remind you if you are getting close to your limit and even then, you can ring the supplier and add a top up for that month. The only time I have had to do this is when my Home internet was down, so I was using Samsung internet via Tesco mobile.

Agreed, LD!

I like this web page (link below) which tells you what you can do with, eg, 1 GB.

Why pay more?

https://www.confused.com/mobile-phon...ata-calculator
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

15-05-2021, 10:37 AM

I was planning to go for 1gb, then found I had the choice of 500mb for £6 or 3gb for £8 ..... went for the latter.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top