Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 08:29 PM

has anyone grown cucumbers....

in a pot indoors?? This is the current plan as otherwise the slugs just devour anything outside. It's looking promising so far but does anyone (who has tried this) have any tips for encouraging cucumber growth (other than sweet nothings whispered in their general direction!)
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 08:42 PM

Re: has anyone grown cucumbers....

yes in the greenhouse

one plant only produced one cucumber. Sue and I were discussing this only this evening and She said for the cost of the plant the care ie watering etc it was cheaper to buy. The framework had the plant tied to it so the cucumber was off the ground, stop slugs getting at it
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 08:45 PM

That is a beautiful cucumber though - bet it tasted magnificent
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That is a beautiful cucumber though - bet it tasted magnificent
Sue is the gardener here but it is not just the eating it is watching it grow and yes the taste mmmmmmmm

This frame cheap enough and just put a plastic sheet over it if you don,t have a greenhouse

something like this which we have, or even indoors to grow the plant on. Also one way also to have a flower indoor display

https://www.futuregarden.co.uk/grow-...RoCjOAQAvD_BwE
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 09:07 PM

I'm growing one in my mini greenhouse, but its just a tiny plant at the moment, so I can't help much with advice. I'll be watching this thread with interest though.

RS, your cucumber looks lovely - although I have to agree its much easier to buy one. Its fun though - and I didn't even know they just produce one per plant!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

13-05-2021, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I'm growing one in my mini greenhouse, but its just a tiny plant at the moment, so I can't help much with advice. I'll be watching this thread with interest though.

RS, your cucumber looks lovely - although I have to agree its much easier to buy one. Its fun though - and I didn't even know they just produce one per plant!
that is all ours did but think there should have been more, but with such an effort to grow this beauty who is complaining? not us
However using a frame like this certainly for trhe price is well worth it. We have 2 one each side of the greenhouse
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 09:14 PM

I’ve grown them outside and in my greenhouse and they definitely grew better in the ground. I just planted cucumber and zucchini today in my garden.
Good luck with your Annie. Homegrown is always better when done right.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

14-05-2021, 03:43 AM

Bratti you are so lucky if you don't have slugs there. The only plants our slugs don't tend to attack are tomatoes and potatoes. It's such a heart sinking moment going out and seeing a beautiful plant razed to the ground and a little trail of slime. I'll see how it goes and invest in a frame if they show promise. I wonder if you can improvise with a garden cane frame. It would be nice just to have the flowers as they are quite pretty. I can see buds starting to form.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 03:59 AM

When we were in Cyprus in 2009 we were introduced to Lebanese Cucumbers. Nothing like the size of a cucumber but beautiful taste. About the size of a courgette and the little cafe we used to frequent in Larnaca, used to slice them lengthways and they would become part of the filling of a crusty topped roll. Great for lunch with a coffee or a wine. When we got home we inquired and found they were here so we grew them ourselves.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 05:58 AM

Hi

Given up, not worth the bother.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top