Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2021, 08:31 AM

Re: Migrant swarm invades Ceuta Morocco !!

These are indeed by huge majority economic migrants though nobody has mentioned those still crossing the Med in their thousands too, with many still drowning on a regular basis.
That very real risk of death is obviously not enough to dissuade them.

If this summer is going to be as bad for huge numbers making the attempt as it looks, the EU is going to have to up it's game.
Already this migration is causing severe problems in many EU member countries and it does look like things are coming to a head in a few like France and Italy already.
Surely even the glacially-slow EU can't just keep putting off actually doing something?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2021, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
These are indeed by huge majority economic migrants though nobody has mentioned those still crossing the Med in their thousands too, with many still drowning on a regular basis.
That very real risk of death is obviously not enough to dissuade them.

If this summer is going to be as bad for huge numbers making the attempt as it looks, the EU is going to have to up it's game.
Already this migration is causing severe problems in many EU member countries and it does look like things are coming to a head in a few like France and Italy already.
Surely even the glacially-slow EU can't just keep putting off actually doing something?
Hi

It is up to the EU to stop them entering the EU.

It is up to us to stop them entering the UK.

We are an island with our sea border in France, we are making a pigs ear of it.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2021, 09:40 AM

The government has said that a genuine refugee would claim asylum in the first safe country reached . As the majority of those travelling to the U.K. through France are they genuine refugees or migrants hmmm. However once in the U.K. they will be granted the right of appeal

The Refugee Convention, rightly or wrongly says there’s no law to a refugee seek claim asylum in the first safe country reached . Whether a refugees travel through many countries before seeking asylum as it makes no difference to the fear ,threats and persecution faced in their own country.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2021, 10:10 AM

Hi

I think there are some genuine misunderstandings here.

Most refugees have lost everything, they do not have the money to pay the people smugglers.

They are very different from economic migrants, who have the money to pay vast amounts to get here.

The UK takes in 20,000 genuine Refugees a year of our choice.

They fall into two categories.

One, those who have helped our Troops abroad and their families.

Essential to maintain protection of of our troops.

The destitute in the Refugee Camps abroad, the genuine who have lost everything.

The majority are not actually Islamist, they are those the Islamists are determined to wipe out.

Christians and those who hate the Radical Islamists.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2021, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Well said Twinks....I wish they would put in the effort to make their own countries prosper instead of leaching off others. I know there are some genuine cases but mostly they are young men ....economic migrants.
In some cases their own countries are not poor, but the wealth of the country is not distributed fairly to those who have poor homes & little food. Sadly those poor people are not the ones that are paying so much money to get on a boat to come here. Economic migrants are and they are ones who want to get a better life on somebody else's hard work

I am sure we all hate to see poverty, but whilst we are providing homes and food to these immigrants our own residents are getting poorer.
If the leaders of warmer countries invested more money into building dams, perhaps their poor people would have enough water to grow food & maybe enough to dry the food & export it. That could increase the countries economy, but their leaders need to speculate to accumulate..... just as the countries, that they now think of as rich, did!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

19-05-2021, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
In some cases their own countries are not poor, but the wealth of the country is not distributed fairly to those who have poor homes & little food. Sadly those poor people are not the ones that are paying so much money to get on a boat to come here. Economic migrants are and they are ones who want to get a better life on somebody else's hard work

I am sure we all hate to see poverty, but whilst we are providing homes and food to these immigrants our own residents are getting poorer.
If the leaders of warmer countries invested more money into building dams, perhaps their poor people would have enough water to grow food & maybe enough to dry the food & export it. That could increase the countries economy, but their leaders need to speculate to accumulate..... just as the countries, that they now think of as rich, did!
Hi

I have long given up on Africa, the solution, if there is one, is far above my level of intelligence.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2021, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ripple ->
The government has said that a genuine refugee would claim asylum in the first safe country reached . As the majority of those travelling to the U.K. through France are they genuine refugees or migrants hmmm. However once in the U.K. they will be granted the right of appeal

The Refugee Convention, rightly or wrongly says there’s no law to a refugee seek claim asylum in the first safe country reached . Whether a refugees travel through many countries before seeking asylum as it makes no difference to the fear ,threats and persecution faced in their own country.
Should'nt that read " alleged threats and persecution" faced in their
own country Ripple ??
Don't most of these young men leave their family members behind
to suffer from the alleged threats and persecution they are so
desperately escaping ??
Where complete families are travelling together is a slightly different : story, and they deserve different treatment as it is less likely that
they would uproot their their whole family unless it was
absolutely necessary ??
I believe migration has become the number one issue for the human
race but there are no easy answers !

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2021, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It is up to the EU to stop them entering the EU.

It is up to us to stop them entering the UK.

We are an island with our sea border in France, we are making a pigs ear of it.
Spherical objects, to be blunt!

If these people weren't able to freely enter EU-land and then travel through it freely from one end to the other they wouldn't be able to mass in France and try their luck at getting into the UK.
That is most certainly not the UK's fault.
It's a ruddy long way round without travelling through half of Europe first you know.

We are bound by international laws as I'm sure you must be aware and those, combined with our own do-gooders, have combined to make what we have done with those attempting to gain entry illegally a very tricky area.

That fortunately is in the process of changing but when the EU sees so many illegal entries it is quite obvious that because of the EU's inabilities we here in the UK will see more attempted crossings.

As you say in a later post though, we don't know the solution.
Until the EU become as tough as some want the UK to be and return every single person that is caught attempting illegal entry, I doubt that the flow from Africa is going to decrease.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

19-05-2021, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Spherical objects, to be blunt!

If these people weren't able to freely enter EU-land and then travel through it freely from one end to the other they wouldn't be able to mass in France and try their luck at getting into the UK.
That is most certainly not the UK's fault.
It's a ruddy long way round without travelling through half of Europe first you know.

We are bound by international laws as I'm sure you must be aware and those, combined with our own do-gooders, have combined to make what we have done with those attempting to gain entry illegally a very tricky area.

That fortunately is in the process of changing but when the EU sees so many illegal entries it is quite obvious that because of the EU's inabilities we here in the UK will see more attempted crossings.

As you say in a later post though, we don't know the solution.
Until the EU become as tough as some want the UK to be and return every single person that is caufght attempting illegal entry, I doubt that the flow from Africa is going to decrease.
Hi

I will repeat, what the EU does is up to them, what we do is up to us, the UK.

We are responsible for our own security, not the EU.

When we were in the EU we could have sent back everyone we found, we chose not to.

That is our fault, not the fault of the EU.

Now we have left, we cannot and that was our choice to leave.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2021, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Should'nt that read " alleged threats and persecution" faced in their
own country Ripple ??
Don't most of these young men leave their family members behind
to suffer from the alleged threats and persecution they are so
desperately escaping ??
Where complete families are travelling together is a slightly different : story, and they deserve different treatment as it is less likely that
they would uproot their their whole family unless it was
absolutely necessary ??
I believe migration has become the number one issue for the human
race but there are no easy answers !

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Yes most are younger men travelling across Europe .
But that’s what has to be decided are they genuine refugees or migrants . I believe the U.K. should welcome anyone running in fear of their lives . However there are many who believe the U.K. is an easy touch & are willing to risk their lives to get here . I don’t know what the answer is

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top