Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 12:54 PM

Start afresh with a clean installation of Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...ws10startfresh

Use this tool to install a clean copy of the latest version of Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro, and remove apps that you installed or came pre-installed on your PC. You’ll have the option to keep your personal files.

If you’re looking to upgrade your existing Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 PC, go to Get Windows 10 to learn more about upgrade options. If you’re on an Enterprise or Education edition, the tool won’t work for a clean installation. Please see the Volume Licensing Service Centre for more information.

Before you begin

Review the following important notes:
  • Using this tool will remove all apps that do not come standard with Windows, including other Microsoft apps such as Office. It will also remove most apps installed by your PC’s manufacturer, such as your manufacturer’s apps, support apps and drivers. You will not be able to recover removed apps and will need to reinstall them manually later if you want to keep them.
  • By using the tool, you may lose your digital licences, digital content associated with applications or other digital entitlements for applications, which may affect your ability to use apps or app-related content that you paid for. For this reason, we don’t recommend using this tool on any PC where you wish to ensure that all of your applications and application-related content (including Microsoft applications such as Office) remain properly installed and licensed.
I've just completed the installation on my old desktop it only took an hour .....

I'm now installing updates .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 04:00 PM

Re: Start afresh with a clean installation of Windows 10

Up to Version 20H2 (October 2020 Update) .....
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 06:00 PM

Its taken all afternoon?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

25-05-2021, 06:39 PM

The updates are still being installed .....

Hopefully, a "clean" installation will have got rid of all the "niggles" that have built up over the years .....
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 07:21 PM

Has anyone downloaded version 21H1 yet? Its been hovering and waiting for me to download, but I'm a tad hesitant until someone tells me its okay.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 08:57 PM

I've reinstalled most versions of Windows over the years. Keeps the system nice and clean. Not done so much with Windows 10 though. It doesn't seem to be so necessary. Nice to know there are no leftovers or unnecessary files on the system after a new installation though.

I always download the Windows 10 installation media from Microsoft. Normally use the advanced options to delete all partitions and let the installation procedure create new ones. I have found that unless this is done, there can still be an unused/redundant partition left on the disk but maybe this doesn't happen these days. After the basic install, let the updates flow. Reinstall programs and then copy back all of the previously backed up files to the right places.

I find this not too lengthy to do. A few customisations and that's that. Quicker is to use a disk image with everything already in place but it's sometimes interesting to do a clean install instead.

I have got 21H1 installed and the system is running OK.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

26-05-2021, 12:47 AM

The updates finally finished while I was having a doze but then OneDrive kicked in and downloaded 200GB/50,000 files .....

I'm now installing MSOffice .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

27-05-2021, 12:36 PM

All required software reinstalled (less than before ..... )

In for a penny, in for a pound - updating to 21H1 .....
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2021, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
All required software reinstalled (less than before ..... )

In for a penny, in for a pound - updating to 21H1 .....
I installed that 21H1 and all went very smoothly and quick too. That was yesterday and I've not noticed any glitches, YET
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

28-05-2021, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
I installed that 21H1 and all went very smoothly and quick too. That was yesterday and I've not noticed any glitches, YET
There's an (optional) update to it already .....

Windows 10 Update KB5003214 Preview Is Out for Versions 2004, 20H2, and 21H1

https://wccftech.com/windows-10-upda...20h2-and-21h1/

A lot of issues are addressed - IMO, it would be worth waiting for next month's Patch Tuesday updates to receive all these improvements instead of jumping on this "preview" update.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top