Join for free
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2021, 07:15 AM

Home Power Generation

This is so uncanny.....
Yesterday I was thinking about nuclear fusion and thinking that if everybody could have miniature nuclear power unit in their garages it would alleviate the need for large power stations and a national grid. I knew that in the past they had been working on 'cold fusion' so it wouldn't be as dangerous as the nuclear method now employed.

But I turn on my computer this morning and what do I find is in the BBC headlines....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57232644

Quote:-

Initial results from a UK experiment could help clear a hurdle to achieving commercial power based on nuclear fusion, experts say.

The researchers believe they now have a way to remove the excess heat produced by fusion reactions.

This intense heat can melt materials used inside a reactor, limiting the amount of time it can operate for.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2021, 08:35 AM

Re: Home Power Generation

I was interested to read this too Bob. I've been loosely following the nuclear fusion story for a few years now and often wondered how, if they succeeded, could they possibly contain a mini sun on earth. Reminds me of that old joke about the man who invented the universal solvent but couldn't find anything to keep it in...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2021, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I was interested to read this too Bob. I've been loosely following the nuclear fusion story for a few years now and often wondered how, if they succeeded, could they possibly contain a mini sun on earth. Reminds me of that old joke about the man who invented the universal solvent but couldn't find anything to keep it in...
Nice one Barry....
I think we are still in the steam age just like in the past when the internal combustion engine took over from the old steam driven vehicles.

Nowadays we produce heat to make steam to power turbines, even in nuclear power stations. If we could cut out the steam and turbines and find a material or combinations of materials that would produce electricity by just applying the heat directly. We are halfway there with the discovery of solar panels and lithium and it's properties. In the old days we used to get old flat zinc batteries and put them in the oven to increase their life. Just by heating them would liven up the chemical reaction inside and give it extra life.

Even if they could come up with a cold fusion reactor that could be made small enough to say power a small housing estate, that would be a major step forward, reducing the need for cables striding the countryside. Imagine the size that computers used to be. I remember when the NCB had one installed in a three story building in Doncaster and the roof of the building had to be removed to lift it in. They rented out space on it so the local council could do their wages and accounting on it. Now we have the same computing power sitting on your lap...
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2021, 11:33 AM

Space/planet exploration is nuclear powered, so why not have a mini pant either in each home or slightly larger installations serving small estates/roads/shopping areas. The applications could be endless until one turns super nova :boom:
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

26-05-2021, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Space/planet exploration is nuclear powered, so why not have a mini pant either in each home or slightly larger installations serving small estates/roads/shopping areas. The applications could be endless until one turns super nova :boom:
I think that thermal runaway is the problem for smaller installations LongDriver, hence the need to try and create cold fusion. Lithium batteries have a similar problem with so much energy stored in such a small space. When it goes wrong, it goes wrong big style. I believe several transporters carrying electric vehicles have been destroyed by fire when batteries have malfunctioned during transportation. Lithium batteries have to be stored and transported charged, otherwise damage to the battery will occur.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2021, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I think that thermal runaway is the problem for smaller installations LongDriver, hence the need to try and create cold fusion. Lithium batteries have a similar problem with so much energy stored in such a small space. When it goes wrong, it goes wrong big style. I believe several transporters carrying electric vehicles have been destroyed by fire when batteries have malfunctioned during transportation. Lithium batteries have to be stored and transported charged, otherwise damage to the battery will occur.
Not just in vehicles either OGF. I recently had a new lappy that caught fire while on charge while was using it on a lap tray. They replaced it, but I've been cautious ever since and do not leave it charging unattended.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

26-05-2021, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Not just in vehicles either OGF. I recently had a new lappy that caught fire while on charge while was using it on a lap tray. They replaced it, but I've been cautious ever since and do not leave it charging unattended.
Sorry to hear that LongDriver, I'll be a bit more careful in the future and not leave anything on charge. Thanks for the heads up....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top