Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 09:34 PM

Re: Hygienist

I got my teeth properly cleaned by the dentist before he did the bigger job of removing two roots and half a tooth. £42 all in, NHS. The teeth cleaning was more horrible than the extractions
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 09:46 PM

I usually have the hygienist at least annually, but never, ever have I had injections first. Even the thought of that would put me off.

I am booked in with botht the hygienist and for a dental check up sometime this month, can't remember the exact date off hand.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 10:22 PM

My Dental Practice stopped the Hygienist there a few years ago.

The last time I had an appointment with the hygienist she broke one of my teeth off! She was very apologetic about it and took me to a dentist and explained to him what had happened and fortunately the dentist glued my piece of tooth back on.

At my next dental visit I told my dentist what had happened and he said he heard about it and they got rid of the hygienist the next day and didn't replace her. He does all my scale and polishes now at my normal appointments.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 10:28 PM

Oh Mags! That sounds a bloomin' awful experience, poor you! I hope you didn't have to pay for that hapless woman?!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Oh Mags! That sounds a bloomin' awful experience, poor you! I hope you didn't have to pay for that hapless woman?!
No I didn't pay thank goodness .... she should have paid me!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I went to the Hygienist yesterday, what an experience that was, I have never experienced this ever before.

She had to numb my gums, as she was putting the gel on, my gums were so sensitive to it, then she injected all over my gums, I thought my airways were closing up, I couldn’t swallow, I had to sit up about 3 times through the experience, I don’t understand it, my only guess is, my gum recession has got worse,....stupid me, didn’t ask her why this was happening.

Yet, at the end of the procedure, there were no bleeding gums throughout,plus, she believes I will keep them until I die.

Phew!!...glad that is over,

£82 that cost me, apparently you can’t get it done on the NHS....does anyone know if this is true?

Sorry ,it was Wednesday I saw the Hygienist not yesterday.
Might be the epinephrine/adrenaline in the local anaesthetic Pauline. I have a bad reaction to it. In my case it makes me all shaky, light headed and faint. I think it's given me palpitations too.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 12:05 AM

I have my teeth scaled and polished by my NHS dentist when l have a check up twice a year. It cost £23+ the last time l went in February.
Even during lockdown, l didn’t miss a dental appointment as the greatest care was taken to keep you safe.

I have never been to a hygienist. My dentist does all l need and my teeth are fine but l do look after them.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
My Dental Practice stopped the Hygienist there a few years ago.

The last time I had an appointment with the hygienist she broke one of my teeth off! She was very apologetic about it and took me to a dentist and explained to him what had happened and fortunately the dentist glued my piece of tooth back on.

At my next dental visit I told my dentist what had happened and he said he heard about it and they got rid of the hygienist the next day and didn't replace her. He does all my scale and polishes now at my normal appointments.
OMG Mags how awful !

When I asked our dentists why they didn’t do a scale and polish ( as described on their check up) they said we dont do that any more ( hygienist £64 a pop )
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I have my teeth scaled and polished by my NHS dentist when l have a check up twice a year. It cost £23+ the last time l went in February.
Even during lockdown, l didn’t miss a dental appointment as the greatest care was taken to keep you safe.

I have never been to a hygienist. My dentist does all l need and my teeth are fine but l do look after them.
I have t been to a dentist for two years due to covid .( no routine checkups)
So I decided to book an appointment a few weeks back they gave me one for the end of august.still I have taken it just in case.
My teeth are fine but I do take care of them ( electric toothbrush interdental brushes mouthwash ) The old gnashers have cost me plenty over the years in maintenance but I am determined to keep them until the end !
I think it’s genetics my mother had a lot of trouble with her teeth but my father had perfect teeth until the day he died at 87.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Might be the epinephrine/adrenaline in the local anaesthetic Pauline. I have a bad reaction to it. In my case it makes me all shaky, light headed and faint. I think it's given me palpitations too.
It didn’t affect me like this the last time she injected my gums plus numbing them, when she put that gel stuff on,I nearly went through the roof, plus I can’t remember her, injecting me all over my gums the last time.
Maybe she had more work to do on them, it’s that electric thing they use, to get all the tartare build up and plaque off, it’s to much for me, I even felt the sensation of it, even after all of the numbing and injection.
I will definitely be consulting my dentist over this, when I see her in July.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top