Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 09:02 PM

Re: Hearing Test.

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I don't know what boots is.
Boots is a chain of chemists nationwide, BM, where they can give out prescriptions for minor ailments, various general medicine and ear tests, apparently. I never knew this...I might go for a test, since I feel my hearing has subtly changed over lockdown, especially my left ear.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Ask your GP to refer you to Specsavers under their NHS contract. They will test your hearing and if necessary, prescribe and supply any necessary hearing aids . They will also supply batteries as and when you need them, all at no cost to you, only the NHS. I have Ambio NHS via Specsavers and I cannot fault them.
I am also using Specsavers the same way.

The Doctor triggered it, a few years back, and I've had free aids ever since (and free batteries).
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Boots is a chain of chemists nationwide, BM, where they can give out prescriptions for minor ailments, various general medicine and ear tests, apparently. I never knew this...I might go for a test, since I feel my hearing has subtly changed over lockdown, especially my left ear.
Hi PN!

I have a theory, unproven, that the left ear always starts to fail first!

I used to put it down to sitting in the right hand (drivers in the UK) seat of the car.

With a high pitched voice sitting next to you!

I'll get my coat!

Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Hi PN!

I have a theory, unproven, that the left ear always starts to fail first!

I used to put it down to sitting in the right hand (drivers in the UK) seat of the car.

With a high pitched voice sitting next to you!

I'll get my coat!

I'll shut the door after you!

I'm still chuckling though...it was funny
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 10:16 PM

Boots lost the NHS contract for hearing and now it's only Specsavers who test on behalf of NHS. It's been this way since the 1st lockdown. . . well, in my NHS region its Specsavers over Boots.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 10:30 PM

And opticians.
Our optician, an excellent optometrist and very nice Indian chap, began working for Dollond & Aitcheson and then became independent. More recently, he has chosen to work under the Boots brand, but still semi-independent (I don't know the exact arrangement).
Personally, I wouldn't dream of going with anyone else.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 11:48 PM

Boots lost the NHS contract for hearing and now it's only Specsavers who test on behalf of NHS. It's been this way since the 1st lockdown. . . well, in my NHS region its Specsavers over Boots.

That's odd LD, because I only spoke to a big new Boots near me about 3 or 4 weeks ago, and they were telling me about the hearing tests and asked me if I wanted to book in?
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2021, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's odd LD, because I only spoke to a big new Boots near me about 3 or 4 weeks ago, and they were telling me about the hearing tests and asked me if I wanted to book in?
Boots, like others offering audiology, will test your hearing at no charge, but they cannot dispense NHS approved and backed free aids. I suppose it's all down if you are willing to pay over inflated priced for something that in relative terms costs little.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2021, 10:10 AM

Boots, like others offering audiology, will test your hearing at no charge, but they cannot dispense NHS approved and backed free aids. I suppose it's all down if you are willing to pay over inflated priced for something that in relative terms costs little.
Yes, that's perfectly true.

I'm not sure whether the OP was asking about private or NHS hearing aids.

As I mentioned earlier, I originally had free NHS hearing aids which were adequate, but no frills. In addition, although batteries were provided f.o.c., I had to change them myself and travel to the hospital for replacements.

Marge later persuaded me to try and then buy some private hearing aids. No batteries; I just pop them in the charger overnight. They also offer various features that the NHS ones didn't (or perhaps they do now?). They are fully guaranteed for five years and regular check-ups are free, I believe, for life.
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2021, 12:50 PM

Ask your GP to refer you to Specsavers under their NHS contract. They will test your hearing and if necessary, prescribe and supply any necessary hearing aids . They will also supply batteries as and when you need them, all at no cost to you, only the NHS. I have Ambio NHS via Specsavers and I cannot fault them.
But are they fully qualified audiologists, or have they just passed their City and Guilds.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top