Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 08:19 PM

Internet Gone Down.....

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...ewApp_AppShare

Quote:

Struggling to load Amazon or eBay in your web browser? HMRC or UK Government site not working for you? PayPal or Ticketmaster can't complete a transaction? Don't panic, it's NOT your computer - it's a colossal global error that has caused havoc with dozens of the world's most popular websites.

Huge swathes of the internet have been thrown into chaos as dozens of the most popular websites have gone offline. From Amazon to eBay, Twitch.tv to Reddit, PayPal to Ticketmaster, and even Gov.uk and HMRC's online resources – none of these sites are able to load. Major news websites, including The Guardian, Financial Times, and The New York Times have also gone dark due to the same error. Together, these sites attract millions of visitors every day. As it stands, millions of those users are being confronted with a series of error messages, including "connection failure" and "Error 503 Service Unavailable".
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 09:25 PM

Re: Internet Gone Down.....

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...ewApp_AppShare

Quote:

Struggling to load Amazon or eBay in your web browser? HMRC or UK Government site not working for you? PayPal or Ticketmaster can't complete a transaction? Don't panic, it's NOT your computer - it's a colossal global error that has caused havoc with dozens of the world's most popular websites.

Huge swathes of the internet have been thrown into chaos as dozens of the most popular websites have gone offline. From Amazon to eBay, Twitch.tv to Reddit, PayPal to Ticketmaster, and even Gov.uk and HMRC's online resources – none of these sites are able to load. Major news websites, including The Guardian, Financial Times, and The New York Times have also gone dark due to the same error. Together, these sites attract millions of visitors every day. As it stands, millions of those users are being confronted with a series of error messages, including "connection failure" and "Error 503 Service Unavailable".
Has the smell of a Ransomware hit, to me!

These big boys have every system backed up multiple ways.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 09:25 PM

There were problems this afternoon with search engines I use. Google, DuckDuckGo and Bing would not work at all. Having to go out I just shut the laptop down and on returning a few hours' later tried it all again and everything was working. That could have been due to the internet going down or something else. All I do know is that it's been alright since.
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2021, 05:59 AM

I lost the dialling tone on my landline - no phone, no Internet.

BT said, 'Due to a serious incident, we are unable to answer any queries regarding faults. Please phone back later'.

The dialling tone was reinstated after a couple of hours.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2021, 08:31 AM

I didn't have any problems - but maybe I wasn't online at the time it happened. It shows (yet again) how dependent we have become on the internet for our lives and what chaos would ensue if it went down for any length of time.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2021, 10:20 AM

You are right Pixie, with each new generation we become ever more reliant on the internet, not just for social media but communications, traffic management, energy and water supplies, logistics, Banks, the list is endless, and could we cope if it suddenly went down permanently. I always have kept a few quid in cash just incase, because imagine not being able to access your account....

As high street shops are closing by the score everyday in favour of shopping online, how long could we cope not buying everyday goods, and the few shops that were still open would be overwhelmed by tsunami of shoppers. Even most of the shops order their stock online.....

As with all past inventions they sometimes go wrong, and occasionally with catastrophic results. The end of the internet could come from hackers, enemies, or natural extreme events. The taller we build our technological house of cards, the more precarious it becomes. I reckon it's not a case of IF it goes t$ts up, more a case of when...
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2021, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

The taller we build our technological house of cards, the more precarious it becomes. I reckon it's not a case of IF, more a case of when...
I like that turn of phrase...

I really hope it doesn't happen anytime soon, although I agree that its a case of when, not if. What concerns me most is the younger generation who have grown up not knowing anything else but "being online". They don't have the old school skills that we do, to fall back on.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

09-06-2021, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I like that turn of phrase...

I really hope it doesn't happen anytime soon, although I agree that its a case of when, not if. What concerns me most is the younger generation who have grown up not knowing anything else but "being online". They don't have the old school skills that we do, to fall back on.
That's true Pixie, one of the reasons why I hope it happens sooner rather than later, while we are still here to teach our young to survive, otherwise they will be running around like headless chickens and anarchy with be the master...
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2021, 12:13 PM

I believe total and permanent failure is unlikely. If you take a look at the infrastructure of the Internet, it really is a clever place. If data can't get through one way is has a choice of other routes to take. We might only be a couple of hundred miles apart but the route the data takes can be literally to the other side of the globe and back. Just all depends on the quickest route the data can find.

Not only that but the data may not also go the same route. It is split up into 'packets' and some packets could go one way and some another. All with digital addresses so that it knows where it's heading. In the end it all joins up and we read our posts, get our emails and see out pictures.

The system could collapse entirely or be sabotaged completely but I think the infrastructure would prevent that. Never say never though.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2021, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I believe total and permanent failure is unlikely. If you take a look at the infrastructure of the Internet, it really is a clever place. If data can't get through one way is has a choice of other routes to take. We might only be a couple of hundred miles apart but the route the data takes can be literally to the other side of the globe and back. Just all depends on the quickest route the data can find.

Not only that but the data may not also go the same route. It is split up into 'packets' and some packets could go one way and some another. All with digital addresses so that it knows where it's heading. In the end it all joins up and we read our posts, get our emails and see out pictures.

The system could collapse entirely or be sabotaged completely but I think the infrastructure would prevent that. Never say never though.
As you write Mart, the internet really is a clever place. I was around when it all came about and understood it was a development by the Americans to ensure there would always be a way of communicating whatever happened in the world, especially in the 'Cold War' of those early days.

Then along came the worldwide web or www as most of us will know it nowadays. At that time due to a recession I was unemployed but thanks to a grant, from the EEC (now EU) of all places, I was able to learn how to build websites using HTML. That really was an eye-opener as to what could be achieved. HTML was developed further, the last one I knew about was XHTML I recall. A lot of this was then overtaken by software packages, Dreamweaver was one I recall, that used all the coding without the user having to type it all out. Interesting days those were.

Today the lengths technology has now gone to I find even more amazing. What can be achieved with today's software developments is such a long, long way from those early days.

If anyone's interested, below are links to websites giving information about this subject:

https://www.thoughtco.com/history-of...ternet-1992007

https://www.history.com/topics/inven...f-the-internet

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top