Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2019, 03:28 PM

Re: Accents

I have a West Country accent but not the "ooo arrh" farmer type accent

I was raised in the north side of the city and didn't have any noticeable accent then but when I got married we moved to the south-east side. My neighbours there were very broad Bristolian and I'm afraid over the years I have picked up a lot from them
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2019, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
It's funny that tabby mentions that there were three distinctly different Welsh accents in the programme she was watching.
One of the men sounded like the actor Tallfrin Thomas (Dad's Army) who was from Swansea. The other one was more like Hugh Griffith (Ben Hur) who was from Anglesey.

The young woman reminded me of Sian Phillips (I, Claudius, and Ivanhoe) and I believe she came from Glamorgan.

They were lovely rich accents anyway.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2019, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Vaniy ->
I'm with you Summer don't think I've got an accent till I hear a recording of myself then as you say Its Leeds ok Headingley and before you tell everybody its posh can't help where you were dragged up
Aye well you even played the drums posh.....little pinkies to the side...like holding a china.cup ...joking.

Time flies doesn't it Steve seems like another life now.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2019, 04:24 PM

Some accents can be very attractive and endearing, others not so.
Some are certainly more difficult to understand than others, but on the whole, I like an accent.

No idea if I have got one or not.
When I talk to myself I understand it alright.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2019, 04:50 PM

Proper debon I speak.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2019, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Some are certainly more difficult to understand than others, but on the whole, I like an accent.

You have.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2019, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Here's something I find fascinating, it's not exactly accents but the differences between English, Scottish and Scottish English with words pertaining to Scotland only. Our Scottish members I am sure will know only too well about this!

On occasions I proofread for both English and Scottish authors and for me as a 'southerner' it is a real nightmare. It does keep the 'old grey matter' working reasonably well though, various Scottish online dictionaries are on overtime!

Not only is there the problem, for me, of being unable to speak or read the Scottish language, there are common use Scottish words interspersed within English that I may never have heard of. Also the accent and dialects make construction of sentences entirely different from what I understand to be accepted English grammar. It is hard work but interesting, I learn a lot! One real bonus is that I do not have installed on my computer a Scottish Gaelic spellchecker, imagine the chaos that would cause if those are anything like English spellcheckers, with their often incorrect and confusing word usage!

If you are interested then have a look at the two links below to Scottish dictionaries and sayings and you will perhaps understand:

http://www.glasgowvant.com/glaswegia...s-and-phrases/

https://www.scottish-at-heart.com/scottish-sayings.html
I must admit that, apart from watching both the original and remake of Dr. Finlay, and one or two other programmes over the years, my first first real encounter with Scottish words came from Internet forums!

It was on a forum that I first came across 'blowing a hooley' and several other phrases.

It was also interesting to find that the word 'gotten' is alive and well and living in Scotland and parts of the north of England, and isn't just an American thing these days. (I know it was widely spoken in all parts of England in the olden days).

It's great to be exposed to different words and phrases, and just goes to illustrate how, even on a tiny island like ours, there is a rich diversity of language.

Long may it continue!
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2019, 05:39 PM

Certainly does does Sue only seems last week up at the Arndale ten pin bowling

Most of the pubs have gone too what is the world coming to?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2019, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Here in NwZlnd we don't use vwls any more. Ozzies stl em' all. They have "Sweeeeemin poools" we have "Swmn Pls". There biggst city is "Sdny" they call it "Seeeedny"

haha. Ys I nly rcntly hrd a kwy sy tht thy laff whn we sy "fsh n chps"..To thm ut snds lke "Feeesh n Cheeps"..I thought yeah that's logucul. There are a few thungs thet I'm jilous of thit you hev there though. One of thim is wund. I love wund. I find ut viry rilixung. I'd love to luv un Willungtun for but just for the wundy wither.

All Jistung aside. I find people around the world react to my accent very differently. In the US people generally like it a lot. My wife has a very nicely modulated middle class/ urban Australian accent and soft smooth voice. She gets complimented all the time on her accent. (Think maybe Cate Blanchett/ Nicole Kidman without the American overlay or Geoffrey Rush). My son was "accosted" ( in a nice way) by a bunch of girls on the subway in NYC who were begging him to just talk to them. Canadians were similar but identified with us in being different to the US..as they are quite markedly if you listen. In the UK, people were more often mocking of our Australian accent and would poke fun at us, usually (not always) in a good natured way. We are used to that there. The Australian accent has changed from what it was half a century ago. IT has softened and young people speak much better than they used to. But I love our accent. We are proud of it and wouldn't change it for the world
Kiwi-speak sentences never seems to be spoken the same way twice, the vowels in words change en ivery sontance.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2019, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Originally Posted by Judd ->
You have.
I agree.

Everyone has an accent, even if it doesn't have a specific name.

Yours is probably like mine.... south of England, not posh, not 'cockney', just.....just......
I called it generic Home Counties in a previous post.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top