Join for free
Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2019, 09:06 AM

Re: An interesting item about electric vehicles …

Smart meter. https://www.express.co.uk/featured/l...do-we-need-one

https://smartgridawareness.org/2015/...f-of-our-time/
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2019, 10:55 AM

A lot of evidence that we are being ripped off Cindy!
And l think our politicians are involved by being in collusion
with big business in a lot of these projects?
Thanks for the link!
Regards Donkeyman!
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 02:05 PM

German study suggests electric vehicles are responsible for more CO2 generation than diesel cars.

https://interestingengineering.com/a...says-new-study
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
German study suggests electric vehicles are responsible for more CO2 generation than diesel cars.

Very interesting, but I'm sure that our eco-warriors will deny it!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->

A point that is ignored in the report is that electric motors make far more efficient use of the energy they consume than an internal combustion engine.

A division of our company made electric motors of the type commonly used in EVs. Permanent magnet brushless DC motors. Our market for them was the machine tool industry (based on their dynamic performance).

Factory testing of these motors gave efficiencies of 97% or better. A typical IC engine struggles to make 40%.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 02:44 PM

is it not typical of the woolley thinking by politicians and inventors and manufactures

OOH LETS HAVE ELECTRIC CARS IN THE FUTURE

What a load of BS. Apart from charging issues and battery replacement - they don't go for long distances anyway.

There you are on the M6 with a fully charged electric vehicle. you either run out of power and stop in the middle lane causing an accident or spend the next few hours waiting for the electric car in front to charge up before you get to the charging point. So next day you may be able to continue your journey.

These so called "experts" to my mind are complete idiots and not thinking things through first. Yet manufactures are going full steam ahead such as Land Rover for example. UTTER MADNESS
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
is it not typical of the woolley thinking by politicians and inventors and manufactures

What a load of BS. Apart from charging issues and battery replacement - they don't go for long distances anyway.
I'm not totally averse to EVs but I see four main problems/limitations.
  1. Range.
  2. Recharge time
  3. The energy source network
  4. Our inability to store energy in any great quantity for immediate use.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

There you are on the M6 with a fully charged electric vehicle. you either run out of power and stop in the middle lane causing an accident or spend the next few hours waiting for the electric car in front to charge up before you get to the charging point. So next day you may be able to continue your journey.

These so called "experts" to my mind are complete idiots and not thinking things through first. Yet manufactures are going full steam ahead such as Land Rover for example. UTTER MADNESS
I have no wish to have an electric car for these very reasons.

The technology and the infrastructure is not ready for them yet.

As I understand it, the only reason they are presently in the public eye is the claim that they are 'eco-friendly' which, as has been shown, they are not. A poorly thought-out government ideology, and not the only one either.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

24-07-2019, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
As I understand it, the only reason they are presently in the public eye is the claim that they are 'eco-friendly' which, as has been shown, they are not.
I'm not convinced that the article cited clearly demonstrates that to be the case. See post #55.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

24-07-2019, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I'm not convinced that the article cited clearly demonstrates that to be the case. See post #55.
Electric motors, like electric heating, are certainly more efficient than other options.

However, compare the cost of electric heating to that of gas and other fuels!

Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top