Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 10:51 PM

Re: Own up now, who remembers …

Virol!?
Mum gave that to my bruvver, I got Cod Liver Oil and Malt!
God I loved that stuff!!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 08:46 AM

We used to have cod liver oil and malt everyday before school, revolting! We also had Syrup of Figs every Friday night. My mother reckoned Ribena was good for us too and we were made to drink it, YUCK, I detest blackcurrants!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
We used to have cod liver oil and malt everyday before school, revolting! We also had Syrup of Figs every Friday night. My mother reckoned Ribena was good for us too and we were made to drink it, YUCK, I detest blackcurrants!
We had all of those plus orange juice and milk of magnesia. We also had, Rosehip syrup, that was lovely!

I hated Virol, it made me heave as it had a horrible consistency. My mother used to give me a threepenny bit to take it!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
We had all of those plus orange juice and milk of magnesia. We also had, Rosehip syrup, that was lovely!

I hated Virol, it made me heave as it had a horrible consistency. My mother used to give me a threepenny bit to take it!
We had Rosehip syrup too, I had forgotten about that, it wasn't too bad.

My mother had Gripe water for colicky babies, I loved the taste of it. If she sent me to get the bottle for one of my younger sisters I would have swig of it first. My mother would have died if she had realised how much alcohol was in that product in those days, my parents didn't drink.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Malt , given to me on huge spoons that clanked my teeth as I tried to suck all the sticky sweetness off the spoon . Oh I loved the taste
That malt was called Virol & I couldn't get enough of it, but I hated the Cod Liver Oil, it was revolting, probably why I dislike fish now.

I agree with all everyone has said & remember it all. I loved the milkman's horse & the rag & bone man's, they would often stop outside our house & I used to go out & pet them. Milkman's horse was called Molly & she was a piebald cob. My mother was mortified because her name was also Molly & my mother was a bit of a snob.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 01:51 PM

I remember school milk and being monitor. i remember malt, the knife grinding man and the toffee apple man but not trams. i can however remember some of the tracks.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 06:00 PM

We had sacks of coal delivered by horse and cart in our village.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 07:07 PM

The previous post by Baz and others covers most of what l
remember, but heres a couple more,
Bread and hot milk for breakfast!
The coalman carrying the sacks through the house!
Sitting in front of the open gas oven during the war!
The insurance salesman com!ng round on his bicycle with
a breifcase strapped to his crossbar to collect our half crowns!
My dad taking me to the station in the pram to steal coal
and me being put on top to hide it!
Playing in the disused communal air raid shelters!
Sleeping under the stairs in the gas cupboard during the war!
How long must l keep going??

Regards Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Virol. Lovely stuff.

No trams round our way, just trolley buses. Worst thing they ever did getting rid of those in view of the pollution now caused by diesel.
Yes Juddy, the trollies used to take off like rockets and
were silent!
Wonder why they dropped them??
Regards Donkeyman!

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top