Join for free
Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 04:25 PM

Re: Today on Brexit Central, Austin Mitchell Nails it Again !

Originally Posted by itsme ->
What question hee-haw?
The question in my earlier post was, where does uk get
the money that we pay our trade deficit with?
I provided two options for where!
1 . By using the money from the 50% trade with the rest of the
world , to subsidise our eu trade. Or
2. By printing money?
I then said that either option would be stupid! Thus implying
that it was stupid for uk to be amember of eu under the
present dispensation, please try to read the posts carefully
in future as l find it very trying to repeat myself!!!
I stand by my estimation of you as a duffer!
Regards Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by gascony ->
Yes I did. But when you claim the EU is not growing when in fact Spain's growth in the last quarter was higher than the UK I sense that you do not care about facts. You mention debt levels - one of the worst levels is the UK. We created that. Our fiscal policy is so poor that we have one of the world's worst debts. It is going to get worse with Brexit - no serious commentator thinks otherwise. I am quite certain that you have convinced yourself that the EU is bad for the UK. Whereas the reality is that problems we have (poor at manufacturing, poor at exporting, poor at taking advantage of a massive single market on our doorstep) are not problems created by the EU or from membership of the EU. And they are not problems that will be solved by leaving the EU. Remember the much promised hike in exports when the pound went through the floor back in 2016? How did that go? We should have been 20% more competitive so surely the export orders would have flooded in.... nope.
You forget Spain, the example you quoted, is coming off of
an extremely low base, caused by recession, caused by eu
monetary policy of eu, as are two or three other countries
in eu! which skews eu growth figures?
And regarding the benifit of having a large market on our
doorstep, l agree it should be an advantage?
But only if the deals that the commission gets with the rest
of the world, were distributed evenly amongst the whole eu
membership?
And if uk still had the capacity to supply it! I know this lack
was mostly caused by successive uk governments when they
chose to rely mainly on finanial skullduggery! but we are
Where we are, and so it makes no sense to be what amounts
to being a captive market for the benefit of eu

Regards Donkeyman!
gascony
Gascony
gascony is male 

22-07-2019, 05:08 PM

That argument makes little sense. You are saying that having the most open free trade market right on our doorstep, plus access to good trade agreement with other countries courtesy of the EU, is not good for the UK ... because, err, there must be some distribution that does not work well for the UK. What distribution is that exactly? The fact that the UK imports so much won't change if all we do is leave the EU - we will simply be importing more from other places. You seem to want to fix the UK's ability to export successfully - yet the fix you seek has nothing to do with the problem.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 05:28 PM

That argument makes little sense. You are saying that having the most open free trade market right on our doorstep, plus access to good trade agreement with other countries courtesy of the EU, is not good for the UK ... because, err, there must be some distribution that does not work well for the UK. What distribution is that exactly? The fact that the UK imports so much won't change if all we do is leave the EU - we will simply be importing more from other places. You seem to want to fix the UK's ability to export successfully - yet the fix you seek has nothing to do with the problem.

I'm not saying that at all.

I'm saying canada has a better trade deal than us because it doesn't have to pay 12 billion a year for it and it can make it's own trade deals that benefit canada not other countries. It isnt bound to the rules of the ECJ and can control it's own immigration too.

Importing and exporting on our own trading arrangements is far better than doing it on somebody elses.
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
The question in my earlier post was, where does uk get
the money that we pay our trade deficit with?
I provided two options for where!
1 . By using the money from the 50% trade with the rest of the
world , to subsidise our eu trade. Or
2. By printing money?
I then said that either option would be stupid! Thus implying
that it was stupid for uk to be amember of eu under the
present dispensation, please try to read the posts carefully
in future as l find it very trying to repeat myself!!!
I stand by my estimation of you as a duffer!
Regards Donkeyman!

Your post;
1, our trade with the rest of the world! In which case that
trade is subsidising our trade with eu??
2. We print the money??

My only mistake was to assume that you knew what you where talking about and made the suggestion that it is borrowed.

Try and stick to giving kids rides on the sand hee-haw
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

22-07-2019, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by itsme ->
Your post;
1, our trade with the rest of the world! In which case that
trade is subsidising our trade with eu??
2. We print the money??

My only mistake was to assume that you knew what you where talking about and made the suggestion that it is borrowed.

Try and stick to giving kids rides on the sand hee-haw
So do you agree with me that it is stupid to do do either
of the two options?
Regards Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

22-07-2019, 07:40 PM

Yes l agree we will import from other countries, Gascony, but
the other countries have goods that are far cheaper than
the eu's which are kept high by applying protective tariffs
to make german cars and french wine etc more competertive
intrnally! and uk will then have access to these cheaper
markets, ie korean cars, african food products etc!
We have not even mentioned our fishing grounds yet??

Regards Donkeyman!
gascony
Gascony
gascony is male 

22-07-2019, 08:57 PM

We are talking about trade not fishing. Do you enjoy a nice bottle of well priced Chilean wine? They are very reasonable.
If the EU products were so very expensive then we would not buy them. Our people (maybe some excepted) are not stupid. We can buy cars made here. Yet many buy German cars, which can be very expensive. But we still buy them. Explain that please.
gascony
Gascony
gascony is male 

22-07-2019, 09:01 PM

Ah yes. The lack of contribution. How you hate it. I love it. This contribution costs a few pounds per person each year. It is marvelous. It has saved so many central European countries. It comes back in the form of grants and subsidies that our mean tory government cannot cut. If we did not have the EU contribution then we would have a really dismal country.
Now to Canada. Gets a good trade deal. But in goods, not services. Remind, me oh wise one, how much of the UK exports are services? And remind me again, which trade deal includes services (clue: that would be the single market).
Do you really want to have the UK shoot itself in the foot and face? I think you do.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 09:24 PM

We are talking about trade not fishing. Do you enjoy a nice bottle of well priced Chilean wine? They are very reasonable.
If the EU products were so very expensive then we would not buy them. Our people (maybe some excepted) are not stupid. We can buy cars made here. Yet many buy German cars, which can be very expensive. But we still buy them. Explain that please.
Britain produces wine of good quality, yet some british swear by chateauneuf du pape. Both can be bought at €8 a bottle. Why not buy british?

Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top