Join for free
Page 101 of 239 « First < 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 151 201 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2017, 11:59 AM

Re: The Pages of Punch

Originally Posted by Mr Magoo ->

1918: The Barbarians are at the Gates

Punch’s readers were never going to appreciate ‘modern art’. The son’s reply cannot possible be true. A bit over the top, one might say.
I suspect that he meant that it certainly wasn't like that at the front: it was far, far worse.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2017, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I suspect that he meant that it certainly wasn't like that at the front: it was far, far worse.
I’m not sure about that, JBR. Would he have said ‘Thank Heaven’ if he had thought the real front was worse (even much worse) than what was depicted in the paintings?
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 10:26 AM

1918: Thou shall not be found out…

The scene is set in a public school. Joining the Officer Training Corps was compulsory. The Sergeant Major is a full-time member of the staff. The look on their faces show that the two miscreants face an unmilitary penalty for their crime.
Mr Magoo
London

27-03-2017, 09:45 AM

1918: Communication of a sort

Oddly enough I have a personal recollection of this kind of thing.

In January 1954 I was sailing on a troopship to my National Service posting in Singapore. The ship was a civilian liner which had been hired by the military. As a Sergeant (in the Royal Army Educational Corps) I was travelling Second Class which felt quite luxurious to me. Back in the UK wartime rationing was still more or less in place. This did not apply on board ship. In the Dining Room we were served by liveried waiters and the food was ample. On each visit we were each presented with an individual printed menu with the day’s date.

On one occasion a Scot sitting next to me was pocketing that day’s printed menu. He told me why he was doing this. He said that although he was unmarried he had a woman (his word, not mine) back in Glasgow. He and she were not talking at the moment. However he wanted her to know how well he was enjoying his lavish trip so he was going to place just the menu into an otherwise empty envelope and post it to her. Clearly this singular behaviour must have made a deep impression and thus stick in my mind. But the weird thing is that after this one chance conversation over 60 years ago I can still remember that my table companion was a Sergeant Wishart of the Royal Artillery. Why on earth would I remember that amount of detail?
Mr Magoo
London

28-03-2017, 09:44 AM

1918: Protection

George Belcher is, as always, avoiding upper middle scenarios. The soldier who is guarding the German prisoners of war is far from being an A1 specimen. At the start of the war a man with his physique would have been rejected by the Army. By 1918 the military authorities could no longer afford to be so fussy.

The thought that prisoners needed protection is not absurd. Hatred of the ‘horrible Hun’ was intense.
Mr Magoo
London

29-03-2017, 09:26 AM

1918: Is this irony?

What is the joke here? I would imagine that the German prisoner is totally unlike Tommy’s little gal friend from Whitechapel.
Mr Magoo
London

30-03-2017, 09:49 AM

1918: Sheer ignorance

The newly commissioned subaltern doesn’t even realise how much he is showing his ignorance. His rank has given him a totally inflated sense of his own importance.
Mr Magoo
London

31-03-2017, 09:08 AM

1918: Business as Usual

In spite of the desperate war (or even because of it) the same instincts still prevail. The two uniformed Don Juans are looking for amorous conquests.
Mr Magoo
London

01-04-2017, 09:42 AM

1918: Resentment dressed up as reason

Effie isn’t really concerned about her brother’s food coupons. She doesn’t want him to get the attention which she feels rightly belongs to her.
Mr Magoo
London

02-04-2017, 09:45 AM

1918: Two neglected aspects of World War One

The first neglected aspect is that there was a front in the Balkans. The initial enemy was Bulgaria, an ally of Germany. There was also the campaign to liberate Serbia from Austria-Hungary. Serbia’s cause had been the original spark which led to the outbreak of the war.

The second aspect is that a large number of British soldiers came from Ireland – south as well as north. They were volunteers, not conscripts. This fact tends to be air brushed out of people’s memory.

The artist, Stanley Spencer, served in the Balkans. He commemorated his stay in a military hospital by some vivid paintings.

Page 101 of 239 « First < 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 151 201 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top