Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2016, 07:04 PM

Re: Anyone from East Yorkshire?

Originally Posted by Emerald ->
Well now hinny, thou needs a bit of a geographical lesson like.
It comes from when miners, Geordies (Newcastle) called Sunderland makems. It's also to do with football and the rivalry, but the name "Mackem" came from the mining days and is an insulting word towards people of Sunderland.
See, it takes a Tyke to sort you all out. BUT ... I do like a bit of pease pudd'n.
I read a bit more about that.

The Sunderland shipbuilders were originally referred to by the words mak 'em and tak 'em (make them and take them) on the basis that they would make ships by day and then at night take what they could from the site.

The tak 'em has since disappeared, but the description 'mackems' remains.

So another Tyke has sorted out a bit more!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2016, 08:18 PM

Well now hinny, thou needs a bit of a geographical lesson like.
It comes from when miners, Geordies (Newcastle) called Sunderland makems. It's also to do with football and the rivalry, but the name "Mackem" came from the mining days and is an insulting word towards people of Sunderland.
See, it takes a Tyke to sort you all out. BUT ... I do like a bit of pease pudd'n.
Wrong Geordies are from Benicia thats north of the
tyne. Makems are from south of the tyne, and like yourselves were part of deira but we Geordies rescued you for a while and made you part of Northumbria.

Yes Makems is and insult, your still southeners though.
Emerald
Yorkshire
Emerald is female  Emerald has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2016, 09:50 PM

So Nom ..... you come from that land to the north of the famous Humber? Not to labour a point, but surely Northumberland identifies which was the most important part of the nation?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2016, 11:49 PM

So Nom ..... you come from that land to the north of the famous Humber? Not to labour a point, but surely Northumberland identifies which was the most important part of the nation?
Sure we do The North, mind i do like Scarborough, Flamborough Head, Bempton cllffs, and of course Yorkshire puddings.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2016, 04:47 AM

Thread springs back to life while I'm away for a while. Good to see...just be careful those who listen to the ignorance of the press instead of those who are local to the city

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top