Join for free
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 11:03 AM

Re: What does Brexit mean to you?

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The biggest revelation since Brexit for me has been the fact that there are a lot of people who want Britain to fail. Comments such as Purwell's, accuse Leavers as somehow being 'nasty' because they democratically voted to try a different system. A childish comment, I know but there are many people with the same view.

We don't really know how it will affect us yet because it's too early but overall I'm hoping for the return of common sense.
Yes. The whingers never seem to tire of telling us how bad things are going to be in a vain attempt to get us all to change our minds and rise up to follow their demigod, Tony B Liar, in overturning that democratic decision last year.

Their latest argument is to assure us that, since last year, people's attitudes have changed and that, if we could only have another referendum, there would be an enormous majority in favour of remaining under the control of the dictators in Brussels.

Realistically, I'm sure there will be some hardships initially, but nothing we haven't suffered before whilst under the jackboot, and before long I believe we will see the inevitable rewards.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Any evidence of that?

Actually I agree with that and I'd add to my list above that, if and when we have effective control of our borders again, we should allow any EU citizens here already who are of a distinct benefit to our country to remain.

The rest can bog off.
There was an article in the FT on 15th Feb. There were also reports in other papers. The ONS stats indicate a 19,000 reduction at the end of 2016 in EU nationals working in the UK. This compares with the third quarter. It's the first time since Q3 of 2014 that the figure has gone down rather than up. The FT links this to Brexit and the fall in the value of Sterling.

This is the link. The graph shows the net fluctuations since 2010.

The data is perhaps being over-sensationalised. As the article states the number is still 190k higher than the comparative period in the prior year. The ONS will release a more comprehensive analysis next thurs.

https://www.ft.com/content/1e5d5330-...8-6876151821a6

I have noticed there are now no Romanians sleeping in the local park. At one point 2-3 years ago there were even tents. People used to be sitting on benches in the late evening with suitcases and looking really sad. There were even some at the cemetery camped out under a tree. I don't like it but have to admire the resourcefulness.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 11:49 AM

I'm afraid that all I get is an advert inviting me to pay for the FT!

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I have noticed there are now no Romanians sleeping in the local park. At one point 2-3 years ago there were even tents. People used to be sitting on benches in the late evening with suitcases and looking really sad. There were even some at the cemetery camped out under a tree. I don't like it but have to admire the resourcefulness.
If such EU citizens are being encouraged to return to their own countries, that's all to the good.

I'd welcome any foreigners who our country needs and would be to our benefit.

We are not a charity. Well, actually I'm afraid we still are! However, hopefully things are changing.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 12:15 PM

Voters changing their minds?

In the light of yet another attempt to overturn the Referendum result, this time Tony Blair's speech, this was discussed on Sky's Press Review last night

One journalist said they'd looked at all the surveys and opinion polls done since 23 rd June, and by now there must be dozens, if not hundreds

There were plenty of examples of Remainers changing their minds or reluctantly accepting the result, but they had not been a single example of anyone who voted Leave wanting to change their decision.

They also added that, considering the general bias of the media against Leave, they would certainly have seized on any Leavers who did change their minds, and report it widely; but that hasn't happened either.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 12:17 PM

Yes, as always, you are correct.

The true figure is 435. Compared to our 650!

My point is still made.
Your point is far from made because the US is federal in structure and each state has its own government with representatives, senators, etc. at a local level as well as those they send to the national government. That local government makes the US look like a collection of 50 autonomous states and does not compare well to our local government set up.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
Your point is far from made because the US is federal in structure and each state has its own government with representatives, senators, etc. at a local level as well as those they send to the national government. That local government makes the US look like a collection of 50 autonomous states and does not compare well to our local government set up.
You beat me to it!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
It means that the Country I grew up in has turned into a nasty place that I do not want to have much to do with anymore.
Leave.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 01:14 PM

Brexit to me means the biggest mistake this country has made in my lifetime possibly ever.
In a lot of cases it is a massive confidence trick. In others a means to an end, an end that has not been clearly expressed. Plus it has woken deeply unpleasant forces in this country that has empowered to lowest of the low.
I fear who the scapegoat will be when we have completed our leaving and the land of milk and honey proves to be yet another lie that the gullible have swallowed.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
Brexit to me means the biggest mistake this country has made in my lifetime possibly ever.
In a lot of cases it is a massive confidence trick. In others a means to an end, an end that has not been clearly expressed. Plus it has woken deeply unpleasant forces in this country that has empowered to lowest of the low.
I fear who the scapegoat will be when we have completed our leaving and the land of milk and honey proves to be yet another lie that the gullible have swallowed.
Exactly but I'm afraid the gullible have swallowed the lies from the rabble rousers and we shall all have to suffer the consequences.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 01:34 PM

I'm afraid that all I get is an advert inviting me to pay for the FT!
That's a shame. I am always asked to do a survey before I can access. They ask you not to copy and paste as it's protected by copyright.

If such EU citizens are being encouraged to return to their own countries, that's all to the good.

I'd welcome any foreigners who our country needs and would be to our benefit.

We are not a charity. Well, actually I'm afraid we still are! However, hopefully things are changing.
They were discussing the options at the select committee. From memory the suggestion is that all skilled/professional migrants will definitely be allowed in and encouraged to come here, as is anyone starting a business (last point would need checking, but makes sense).

The unskilled would be limited to certain industry sectors where there is a shortage of unskilled workers. This is the area of complication. There was a great debate about how this unskilled pool would be administered, the cost of such admin, the decisions as to what constitutes an industry sector, how to retain migrants in regional areas etc.

So in theory EU migrants who have say plumbing or building businesses or are qualified professionals would have a process where they can easily come here to live and work. The unskilled and low paid farm workers, labourers, factory workers would be strictly controlled.

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top